PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

General discussion

• Overview

This forum is for all things to do with programing with Small Basic, NOT Small or Basic questions on other topics.

Off topic posts will generally not be answered.

Small Basic is a simplified programming language to help teach programming, and also for those self learning.  It is designed to be fun with a small set of commands to remember. 

While it is small, it is a real programming language, and as such the skills learned using it will easily transfer to other more complex languages as programming skills develop.  There are text, graphics, events, sounds, network, file, array, subroutine and others capabilities.  Small Basic can be used to create simple programs quickly, and also can be used to create impressive programs with considerable complexity.

The main emphasis is to have fun learning to be a programmer.

The download for Small Basic and some other resources can be found here.

Also, check out the Small Basic blog, wiki and Technet portal.

This forum

This forum is for all questions, comments, suggestion, bugs, feedback, installation problems and examples of your programming to share.  This includes questions about extensions that can be written to extend the functionality of Small Basic.

As for all forums, do a quick check to see that your question is not already answered.  This is especially true for reporting bugs or enhancement suggestions which are best not duplicated on separate threads.

Having said that, feel free to ask if you don't find what you want.  Often a question will help many more than the person asking the question - so if in doubt ask.

Try to decide if your post is a question or discussion, and if your question is answered then mark it so - the question asker is always the best judge of whether the question is answered.

Please help others where you can.

Also take the opportunity to check out some of the samples posted by Small Basic users.  You can use the IMPORT button on the Small Basic interface to download posted code using the 6 character PUBLISH ID often given within a post.

Asking a good question

You will get the best help if you provide enough information for someone to understand what it is you want help with and reproduce the problem easily - if they have to guess it can be frustrating from both sides.  This often involves you working on a problem for a little bit first, then narrowing down the problem you are having to a small example (if possible).  Then post the example code you are working on (or PUBLISH the ID) along with a clear description of what you expect to happen and what doesn't work.

Non English questions

If English is not your first language and you want to post in your preferred language then this is fine, but please also include an English translation in the post (from Bing or Google).

Translations

Français

Answering questions

Please answer questions where you can, even partial answers from different people can be very helpful.

Be aware that we are not here to do homework for people; rather help them do it themselves.  Look for obvious homework questions with no code-so-far, no specific question apart from 'I need code that does...', especially from some-one who has no 'history' contributing to this forum.

About off topic posts

Moderators may move off topic posts to other appropriate forums.  If you can't find your post in the Small Basic Forum, please check [My threads] in [Quick Access] menu.

And if you can't find an appropriate forum for your question, then try the forum Where is the Forum For…?

Happy coding!

Monday, September 13, 2010 9:42 PM

All replies

• Thanks LitDev.  I hope this helps increase the S/N ratio in this forum.
    Tuesday, September 14, 2010 12:10 AM
  • I can understand your point of view and I respect it in regards to Small Basic being a learning language. None the less, let me make a suggestion that would be more ageeable, I think,  to different kinds of people. Why not make different versions of this new language: version 1 for beginners that I heard would be out by the end of this year, version 2 for intermediates and version 3 for more advanced programmers. All this would culminate to the Visual Basic language. These 3 versions would smoothe out the gap between SB and Visual Basic. Your new programmers would evolve at the same time your versions would come out and Microsoft would have a long term policy of loyal programmers. 
    Saturday, September 18, 2010 2:59 PM
  • Actualy you can do that now by adding extensions to Small Basic to give it more functionality.  You can then "graduate" your program to visual basic.  The third possiblity is to add the small basic dll, then you can use it to write SmallBasic programs in Visual Basic and Visual studio.
    Saturday, September 18, 2010 5:21 PM
  • Would it be possible to add some kind of popup for new users that shows this information.

It looks like number of non small basic posts is increased very much.

Sorry My Bad English
    Wednesday, November 09, 2011 7:19 PM
  • THANK YOU
    Tuesday, November 06, 2012 12:25 AM
  • This is to place this thread as the first  sticky one. ;-)  

Jan [ WhTurner ] The Netherlands

Saturday, April 13, 2013 2:58 PM
    Answerer
  • About off topic post

Moderators may move off topic posts to other appropriate forums.  If you can't find your post in Small Basic Forum, please check [My threads] in [Quick Access] menu.

And If you can't find appropriate forum for your question, there is a good forum Where is the Forum For…? .

Thanks.

Nonki Takahashi

Thursday, June 12, 2014 12:27 PM
  • I wrote a TechNet Wiki article about How to Use MSDN Forum.  Please check if you like.

Nonki Takahashi

Tuesday, January 13, 2015 5:41 AM
  • Excellent article Nonki. Thanks for this. Very helpful.
    Tuesday, January 13, 2015 3:37 PM
  • I had never taken the time to read this article, which is the bulk of what we must do or not do on this forum. Excellent article LitDev, clear and precise.!!
    Thursday, September 01, 2016 12:22 PM
    Answerer
  • People should also check out this excellent article from Nonki:

http://social.technet.microsoft.com/wiki/contents/articles/26353.aspx

Should we add it into the main post on this thread (as "For more information...")?

Or is the content mostly duplicated here?

Thanks!

Ed Price, Azure Development Customer Program Manager (Blog, Small Basic, Wiki Ninjas, Wiki)

Answer an interesting question? Create a wiki article about it!

Wednesday, November 09, 2016 2:55 PM
    Owner
  • @Ed

my suggestion would be:

i would add those 3 chapters of Nonki article to this thread:

1) Get Started

2) Tree Structure in Thread

3) Sticky Threads

the balance seems to be same and repeat itself.

Wednesday, November 09, 2016 4:33 PM
    Answerer