none
Installing SQL Server 2008 on windows 7 x86 RRS feed

• Question

• I recently installed windows 7 on my laptop and now I am trying to install SQL Server 2008, but It tells me "Microsoft .NET Framework 3.5 SP1 installation has failed. SQL Server 2008 Setup requires .NET Framework 3.5 SP1  to be installed." But windows 7 already comes with the .NET Framework 3.5 component, I have this feature turned on, I have even tried downloading the .NET Framework 3.5 SP1 to install myself but that wouldn't work also. I really need help with this.
    Monday, November 15, 2010 10:37 PM

Answers

All replies

• Hi Ebixx,

Thank you for posting.

Based on my understanding, you should download .NET Framework Verification Tool to verify whether or not .NET Framework is installed correctly on your side. Download link: http://blogs.msdn.com/b/astebner/archive/2008/10/13/8999004.aspx  

Regards,

Larcolais

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help.
    Welcome to the All-In-One Code Framework! If you have any feedback, please tell us.
    • Marked as answer by Larcolais Gong Tuesday, November 23, 2010 5:45 AM
    Wednesday, November 17, 2010 6:17 AM
  • I have the same problem and verification does not solve it. I keep getting the same error. Do you have any other suggestions?
    Friday, December 3, 2010 12:27 AM
  • I am also trying to install SQL Server 2008 on Windows 7, and the install fails immediately, complaining about .NET (I don't really know what that is).  I have verified that .NET 3.5 sp1 is turned on in windows by going to "turn windows features on and off" and ensuring their is a checkbox beside .NET 3.5.1  Then I rebooted a couple of times, and that didn't change anything.  I have verified using the utility that I downloaded from Microsoft that the .NET 3.5.1 Framework is installed correctly, but running the setup for Windows 7 still complains of compatibility issues and fails with the .NET error.

I "looked online for a solution" to the compatibility issues, and I downloaded and installed SQL Server 2008 SP2, which confused me because I don't yet have SQL Server 2008 installed.  But I tried anyway, because like many users, we're getting desperate and willing to try anything Microsoft tells us to do.  This didn't work either.  Still same warnings about incompatibilities and then if I run the setup anyway, it fails with the error message about .NET.

Has ANYONE anywhere managed to install SQL Server 2008 on Windows 7?  I've seen post after post of failures, covering the last couple of years.

It seems like the various Microsoft Employees in the various forums are also grasping at straws when they suggest solutions (like the one suggested in this thread).

I'm beginning to doubt that it's possible to install this on Win7, given all of the instances of different people having trouble, with attempted solutions not working either, since 2008!

What gives?

Tuesday, January 11, 2011 10:47 PM