Which database technology to use making a dictionary RRS feed

• Question

• I am creating a dictionary software in Visual studio 2010 (vb). I've already done one in which i used SQL server express 2008 to hold the data. But users find it very annoying to download SQL server (of 58 MB) before installing the software. So now I'm looking forward to make a new one. I am definitely not using SQL this time. But I don't know which database technology does not need a prerequisite software. I guess ADO.NET will not be favorable too. So can anybody suggest me which one to select this time, so that the users can use my software having just the .NET framework 4.0 and nothing else?
    -k@N@k-
    Thursday, March 3, 2011 2:15 PM

Answers

• I'm going to go with Paul, and suggest SQLite.  If you grab it here , then you get a ado.net driver, entity framework support, IDE integration etc - and deployment is including a single dll with your project.  There are also some very nice free designers, SQLite Adminstrator is my favorite.

I've used SQLite for a very similar app - It started out using SQL CE, but I ended up switching just because the SQLite foot print was smaller and the deployment easier (1 dll, instead of about 5).

Tom Shelton
    • Marked as answer by Calvin_Gao Thursday, March 10, 2011 11:13 AM
    Saturday, March 5, 2011 4:25 PM
  • The following should help:

http://www.kirupa.com/net/sqllite_vb_pg1.htm

If you don't mind looking at C#:

http://www.mikeduncan.com/sqlite-on-dotnet-in-3-mins/

Paul ~~~~ Microsoft MVP (Visual Basic)
    Sunday, March 6, 2011 1:32 AM
  • Alam,

This question cannot be answered if you don't tell if the database has to be one for all the users or for every user one database. 

In the latter case is SQL Compact edition probably one of the best chooses. 

Be aware it has also to be installed. 

Database Servers are to keep databases for more applications than only yours, and also to share those information between applications.

So embed it in one solution makes your solution less valuable.

Success
    Cor
    Friday, March 4, 2011 7:20 AM

All replies

• Dear Alm Kanak,

Thanks for your posting!

Yes normally some people are not interested to download SQL Server Express to evaluate our applications. So that I'm using the either MDB (Access) / XML / plain Text file with compression and Encoding. Depending upon the application I'll choose anyone from the above. So that people need not to download any additional software to evaluate our tool.

I look forward for your reply.

Thanks and Regards, Bharath S.
    Friday, March 4, 2011 3:20 AM
  • I haven't used it yet, but doesn't SQL Server Compact Edition allow you to build an embedded database in your application that does not require the user to download SQL Server?
    Friday, March 4, 2011 3:26 AM
  • Alam,

This question cannot be answered if you don't tell if the database has to be one for all the users or for every user one database. 

In the latter case is SQL Compact edition probably one of the best chooses. 

Be aware it has also to be installed. 

Database Servers are to keep databases for more applications than only yours, and also to share those information between applications.

So embed it in one solution makes your solution less valuable.

Success
    Cor
    Friday, March 4, 2011 7:20 AM
  • Both Access and SQL Server Compact Edition are good suggestions. You may also want to try SQLite since it has a relatively small deployment footprint.

http://sqlite.phxsoftware.com/

Saturday, March 5, 2011 4:05 PM
  • I'm going to go with Paul, and suggest SQLite.  If you grab it here , then you get a ado.net driver, entity framework support, IDE integration etc - and deployment is including a single dll with your project.  There are also some very nice free designers, SQLite Adminstrator is my favorite.

I've used SQLite for a very similar app - It started out using SQL CE, but I ended up switching just because the SQLite foot print was smaller and the deployment easier (1 dll, instead of about 5).

Tom Shelton
    Saturday, March 5, 2011 4:25 PM
  • Thank you all... i think i'm gonna go with SQLite this time. It'd really be helpful if you can provide me an web page where I can learn the basic things about SQLite, such as adding, editing, deleting records and using it in vb project.
    -k@N@k-
    Sunday, March 6, 2011 12:51 AM
  • The following should help:

http://www.kirupa.com/net/sqllite_vb_pg1.htm

If you don't mind looking at C#:

http://www.mikeduncan.com/sqlite-on-dotnet-in-3-mins/

Sunday, March 6, 2011 1:32 AM