none
Report Viewer Control Not Working In Visual Studio RRS feed

• Question

• I've created a VB.Net Winforms App in VS2015 and have added an rdlc report item and linked it to a data-set that is puling info from a SQL Server DB on my local network.  I've verified via the Preview Data button (when in design mode in VS) that the connections work and the query being used does return data.  When I RUN the project the winform hosting the Report Viewer control renders and I can see the various controls (page forward, page back, ect) but the data in the report does not render and I can tell by using SQL Server Profiler that the app is not trying to connect to the SQL Server and execute the query in the Report Viewer control.

I'm not getting any error msgs from VS either during the Build step of the project nor when running it.  I've repeated the sample steps provided for creating an rdlc report in VS several times.  I'm at a loss to explain why the report is not executing.  Any input is most welcome as Ive spent way too many hours already on trying to get everything in place that's necessary for creating rdlc type of SSRS reports in Visual Studio; which is no small task.  It feels like as if Microsoft does not want people to work with rdlc style reports for SSRS. 

Monday, July 22, 2019 9:37 PM

All replies

• With the help of Microsoft Support (pay-per-incident support) I was able to figure this out myself.  Having MS Support helped but only because watching the support guy try to create a reporting project gave me an idea on what to try differently.   The support guy was professional and very nice but after close to 2 hours he was unable to get the report viewer control to work but watching him did give me an idea on what to try that I had not tired before. 

The directions I was following had me add a Report Project Wizard which walks you through a lot of the setup.  I don;t know if its a bug in the Report Viewer Control or if its in the wizard but the key (to making it work) was to deselect the choices for grouping/totaling when you get to the step in the wizard where you can select whether or not you want to include these.  The default is that both are enabled.  After de-selecting these the report viewer control worked perfectly.   

I don't know if that will work for anyone else who has this problem but in case it does I wanted to provide this info. Its clear that Microsoft at the very least is not encouraging users to work with rdlc style SSRS reports being that you can only do this in Visual Studio and the support for working with rdlc style SSRS reports in Visual Studio is barely minimal.  Once could make the case that Microsoft in some ways discourages rdlc reporting with its lack of proper support so if you do find yourself looking at rdlc SSRS reports be sure you have no other choice with regards to reporting technology. 

Thursday, July 25, 2019 9:43 PM