none
Missing places found on bing maps RRS feed

• Question

• Hi there,

I'm using the API at the following URL,

https://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/hh478193.aspx

I retrieve a list of local POI from my GPS location, but it's missing places. Specifically It's missing places that are on Bing maps. Any idea how to get all places that are also on Bing maps?

Nick.

Somewhere out there...

Saturday, October 15, 2016 3:06 PM

Answers

• The data on bing.com/maps is coming from another data provider like yelp or trip advisor. Bing can show that data on their website, but the data providers don't allow bing to make that data available through their developer apis.

[Blog] [twitter] [LinkedIn]

• Marked as answer by Firkinfedup Sunday, October 16, 2016 11:13 AM
    Saturday, October 15, 2016 9:33 PM

All replies

• The bing maps website has access to a lot of point of interest data that can't be made available through the developer api's due to licensing restrictions from the data providers.

Saturday, October 15, 2016 4:06 PM
  • Even a pub? And some of the nearby pubs are listed? Seems a bit odd, I'm friends with the owner, they don't know why either.

Somewhere out there...

Saturday, October 15, 2016 4:39 PM
  • The data on bing.com/maps is coming from another data provider like yelp or trip advisor. Bing can show that data on their website, but the data providers don't allow bing to make that data available through their developer apis.

• Marked as answer by Firkinfedup Sunday, October 16, 2016 11:13 AM
    Saturday, October 15, 2016 9:33 PM
  • That really defeats using Bing Map API for POI, I may as well just use Google's API or Facebook.

Somewhere out there...

Sunday, October 16, 2016 11:13 AM
  • Only a fraction of the data Google Maps has on their website is available in their API's as well. Facebook doesn't have a mapping API. You can easily use 3rd party POI services such as Yelp in your Bing Maps application.

Monday, October 17, 2016 6:23 PM
  • Only a fraction of the data Google Maps has on their website is available in their API's as well. Facebook doesn't have a mapping API. You can easily use 3rd party POI services such as Yelp in your Bing Maps application.

Facebook has a great POI API, that's what this thread is regarding, not mapping services as a whole.

Somewhere out there...

Tuesday, October 18, 2016 6:20 AM