Test Agent Installation RRS feed

• Question

• I want to test SharePoint projects automatically. Therefore, I have a TFS, a build server (including test controller) and a test server.

On the test server, I want to install only a test agent. What do I need to install on the test server agent? Only the test agent or other programs, like SDK, NET Framework, SharePoint or Visual Studio.

Thanks for help
    • Moved by Barry Wang Tuesday, October 9, 2012 6:28 AM test related (From:Visual Studio Setup and Installation)
    Monday, October 8, 2012 12:48 PM

Answers

All replies

• Hello Seba,

Thank you for your post.

If you want to run your test locally, you need to install Visual Studio locally.

If you want to run your test on the test server machine remotely, you need to test agent on it.

You can use build agents with Team Foundation Server.

For more detailed information about test controller and test agent, you can refer to the following articles:

Installing and Configuring Visual Studio Agents and Test and Build Controllers

In the article above, there is a site where you can download an ISO image (Microsoft Web site) to use to install a test controller and test agent.

Best regards,

Amanda Zhu [MSFT]
    MSDN Community Support | Feedback to us

Tuesday, October 9, 2012 7:09 AM
  • Amanda,

Did you mean to put the link to this page? (for the Microsoft Web Site link) -- VM Prep Tool for Visual Studio Lab Management 2010 GDR

Or was it another link. I do not see the ISO for those items on this page.....

Thanks!

Ken

Tuesday, October 9, 2012 7:33 PM
  • Hello Seba,

Thank Ken for reminding that. I post the incorrect link in my last reply. So sorry for that.

The correct link is here: http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=1334

You can download the ISO there for installing Test Controller and Test Agent.

If you have anything unclear, please feel free to let me know.

Best regards,

Amanda Zhu [MSFT]

Wednesday, October 10, 2012 2:17 AM
  • That link takes you to the 2010 Visual Studio Agents.  Could you please post a link where I can download the 2012 Visual Studio Agents?  I'm having the same issue.  I don't want to install Visual Studio on the test machine, just the agents.

Thanks, 

Lee

Wednesday, October 17, 2012 6:54 PM
  • Hello

I've downloaded it at:

https://msdn.microsoft.com/de-de/subscriptions/securedownloads/hh442898.aspx#searchTerm=agents&ProductFamilyId=0&Languages=en&PageSize=10&PageIndex=0&FileId=0

But I think it's for msdn subscription

• Edited by Seba_W Friday, October 19, 2012 9:37 PM
    Friday, October 19, 2012 9:36 PM
  • Hello Seba,

Glad to receive your reply.

Although you have downloaded it from the MSDN Subscription web site, can you install it successfully?

I think that it does not matter that it’s for MSDN Subscription. Even MSDN Subscription will provide more support.

Best regards,

Amanda Zhu [MSFT]

Monday, October 22, 2012 1:52 AM
  • Hi Amanda,

yes I've installed it successfully and it works. But I have one more question :)

Example: I've four server: 1 developer, 1 TFS, 1 Build/Deploy and 1 TestAgent server for a SharePoint website.

I want to run a load test for my SharePoint website on the test agent, which things should I pay attention to?

I mean:
    1. Should I install SharePoint on the TestAgent-Server or other programs?
    2. Where are storing the results? In the SQL database, which?
    3. Can I run the load test only with TFS?
    Wednesday, October 24, 2012 1:50 PM
  • Hello Seba,

In this thread, we are mainly discussing about “Test Agent Installation.” Since your new question is not directly related to the original issue, it would be better if you open up a new thread for the new question. In this way, our discussion here will not deviate too much from the original issue. This will make answer searching in the forum easier and be beneficial to other community members as well.

Thank you for your understanding.

Amanda Zhu [MSFT]

Thursday, October 25, 2012 12:30 AM