none
client application architecture (online/off line) RRS feed

• Question

•  

I am looking for application architecture (platform/technology) on Microsoft platform any help/suggestion on would be really appreciated.

Scenario: The client application installed on different remote location. It requires reliable (audit logs, validation) data synchronisation with the central server whenever it gets connectivity & also the client application should be able to do authentication & work seamlessly either having no connectivity with central server. The client application work as central interface to access come other desktop & web based application. The application also connected with some peripheral device like bar code reader, weighting machine, credit/debit card reader machine for payment etc

Wednesday, May 11, 2011 12:01 PM

Answers

• I don't have one and I'd have to publish it elsewhere if I did.

Your app resides on the device along with a local database and connects to that directly.

Use web services to communicate with your central database.

Consider a separate service to handle this so you decouple read/write to the central database.

Sockets to  the third party software.

That's about it.

If these posts have been helpful please use the vote as helpful control to mark ones you liked and the mark as answer button to mark any that actually answer your question.  I get points for that and someone else googling in the future can see which they should read particularly.  Thanks.

Friday, May 13, 2011 10:22 AM

All replies

• Just done this.

WPF or Winforms on the client, connecting to the server by WCF.

Local sql ce or express database installed on client.

You can do sockets with silverlight but you better check that all your devices and connecting software can configure the socket they listen on. 

Chip and pin devices will mean you're using some third party software and communicating via sockets. 

Bar code readers work just like an input device.  You don't do anything other than installing their driver.  Whatever textbox has focus gets the numbers you scan just like you typed them.

Wednesday, May 11, 2011 12:18 PM
  • Hi Andy,

Thanks for the quick reply & i am not good enough on windows application. So please give me more specific detail about the scenario I am looking for.

1. Payment gateway/SMS gateway integration

2.windows application developemnt plateform (.Net framework/Sync framework)

3. Access web application thorough our windows application developed (windows application should be entry point for other application).

4.Application should be update if there are any update on server application

5.Data sync. fulfill with audit logs & validated before it happens

Thursday, May 12, 2011 4:35 AM
  • 1. Payment gateway/SMS gateway integration

Payments are handled by third parties such as TNS or Ingenico.  You integrate with their software which runs on the client and controls the chip and pin device, communicates with their payments server.

2.windows application developemnt plateform (.Net framework/Sync framework)

.Net, if you want the functionality you describe then I would be inclined to write the process writing to the server rather than use sync

3. Access web application thorough our windows application developed (windows application should be entry point for other application).

Stick a hyperlink there and it'll fire up the web browser.  Web browser controls within wpf or winforms are also possible but limited.

4.Application should be update if there are any update on server application

Clickonce.

5.Data sync. fulfill with audit logs & validated before it happens

Write it.

Thursday, May 12, 2011 7:58 AM
  • Information shared by you really helpful to me.

could you please share any integration level architecure diagram considering the above scenario. The diagram shows the layers and integration protocals.

Thanks in advance

Thursday, May 12, 2011 8:37 AM
  • I don't have one and I'd have to publish it elsewhere if I did.

Your app resides on the device along with a local database and connects to that directly.

Use web services to communicate with your central database.

Consider a separate service to handle this so you decouple read/write to the central database.

Sockets to  the third party software.

That's about it.

If these posts have been helpful please use the vote as helpful control to mark ones you liked and the mark as answer button to mark any that actually answer your question.  I get points for that and someone else googling in the future can see which they should read particularly.  Thanks.

Friday, May 13, 2011 10:22 AM
  • I would certainly take a look at the ms sync framework
    http://pauliom.wordpress.com
    Friday, May 13, 2011 10:44 AM
  • Oh yes, definitely take a look at sync framework.

We found it wasn't a good match for us.

Depends on exactly what you want to do.

Friday, May 13, 2011 10:56 AM