Secondary Tile disable small tile size RRS feed

• Question

• Is it possible to disable the small tile when creating a secondary tile? My app supports it for the main tile, but my secondary tiles should not allow this. I am not setting the small logo uris however it decides to autoscale the larger version down, I only want a medium and wide tile though.

string ID = "Type=0=ID=" + ID;
                string Arguments = "ID=" + ID;

SecondaryTile tile = new SecondaryTile()
                {
                    TileId = ID,
                    DisplayName = "Tile Name",
                    Arguments = Arguments
                };

tile.VisualElements.Square150x150Logo = new Uri("ms-appx:///Assets/Square150x150Logo.png");
                tile.VisualElements.Square310x310Logo = new Uri("ms-appx:///Assets/Square310x310Logo.png");
                tile.VisualElements.Wide310x150Logo = new Uri("ms-appx:///Assets/Wide310x150Logo.png");

tile.VisualElements.ForegroundText = ForegroundText.Light;
                tile.VisualElements.ShowNameOnSquare150x150Logo = true;
                tile.VisualElements.ShowNameOnSquare310x310Logo = true;
                tile.VisualElements.ShowNameOnWide310x150Logo = true;

if (await tile.RequestCreateForSelectionAsync(getElementRect(AppBar), Placement.Above))
                {

}

Sunday, April 24, 2016 9:35 PM

Answers

• Hey Craig, Andrew from the Live Tiles team here!

You cannot disable the small size for your live tiles. Every tile must support Small and Medium (and we resize your medium logo if you don't provide small as you noticed).

What's your scenario where you'd want to disable the small tile? You can't display any useful information on the small tile?

And also, you're correct that the default size parameter is no longer supported in Windows 10.

Thanks!
    Andrew

• Proposed as answer by andrewbares7 Tuesday, May 3, 2016 11:19 PM
    • Marked as answer by craig91 Tuesday, May 3, 2016 11:38 PM
    Tuesday, May 3, 2016 11:19 PM

All replies

• Hi craig91,

The most  thing that you can do is to use this 

https://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/windows/apps/dn251589.aspx

Monday, April 25, 2016 7:11 AM
  • If the only thing you can do is set the default tile size it looks like this is not supported in Windows 10 UAP. Thanks anyways.
    Monday, April 25, 2016 8:51 PM

You cannot disable the small size for your live tiles. Every tile must support Small and Medium (and we resize your medium logo if you don't provide small as you noticed).

What's your scenario where you'd want to disable the small tile? You can't display any useful information on the small tile?

And also, you're correct that the default size parameter is no longer supported in Windows 10.

Thanks!
    Andrew

• Proposed as answer by andrewbares7 Tuesday, May 3, 2016 11:19 PM
    • Marked as answer by craig91 Tuesday, May 3, 2016 11:38 PM
    Tuesday, May 3, 2016 11:19 PM

Thanks!
    Andrew

Hi Andrew,

Thanks for the reply :)  I'm looking to disable the small tile for secondary tiles created within the app where items are pinned to the start screen. I can't display any text content on the small tile, so the user is not able to differentiate one from the next. Of course they can figure that out themselves after re-sizing them but I figured what's the point in allowing them. So your assumption is correct, I cannot display any useful information on them.

Tuesday, May 3, 2016 11:38 PM
  • Yep I figured, that's a reasonable scenario. Thanks for letting us know that you'd like to be able to do this, it helps for prioritization of features!
    Tuesday, May 3, 2016 11:42 PM