Making Excel(.xlsm) into .exe RRS feed

• Question

• Hello,

I am wondering how to make .xlsm to .exe?

Since .xlsm is very powerful by using VBA to execute lots of procedures. If we could have a "make up" by displaying as .exe but not the familiar grids and sheets, that my workbook seems to be more persuasive. (some bosses say: com'on ~ Excel thing)

I am not sure am I posting the right place, hopefully somebody could offer me some suggestions.

P.S.: I am a moderate VBA writer but no experience at VB

Thank you very much and look for some useful suggestions.

Lawrence

Tuesday, October 4, 2016 12:27 PM

Answers

• Hi LawrenceMa,

I think you still have a misunderstanding.

you are talking about VB and I am talking about VB.Net or C#.Net.

also you had mentioned that your .xlsm file have complex algorithms and it looks like you still want to use them.

here I want to clear that if you try to develop VB.Net document level customization then you need to convert your VBA code to VB.Net or you can call your macro from VB.Net code.

then also when you open the file it will open in the Excel Application.

it will not create any stand alone exe file which can use without Excel.

so Excel Application is necessary. your code will not work without that.

so here I want to suggest you that you should know about the VSTO properly before starting any development.

Regards

Deepak  

We are trying to better understand customer views on social support experience, so your participation in this interview project would be greatly appreciated if you have time. Thanks for helping make community forums a great place.
    Click HERE to participate the survey.

Wednesday, October 5, 2016 7:45 AM

All replies

• Hi LawrenceMa,

you had mentioned that you want to make .xslm file to .exe file.

also you had mentioned that you had no experience of VB.

you can simply save your Excel file as an Addin.

so that you can use this addin file with other excel files.

if you want to do something with VB.Net then you can try to use VSTO and try to develop document level customization.

so that the feature and functionality you had develop will only limited to that particular file.

Getting Started Programming Document-Level Customizations for Excel

Excel Document-Level Customization Development

Architecture of Document-Level Customizations

can you please mentioned what exactly you want to do using VB.Net and converting to .xlsm to .exe

so that we can try to give you a suggestion in that direction.

Regards

Deepak

We are trying to better understand customer views on social support experience, so your participation in this interview project would be greatly appreciated if you have time. Thanks for helping make community forums a great place.

Wednesday, October 5, 2016 3:03 AM
  • Hi Deepak,

I was not sure which way should I go to convert .xlsm to .exe before you answered me. It seems VB is the way to do so. Does VB Express fit my need?

I have a .xlsm file which is full of complicated formula and VBA with buttons, that means the interface is easy to use and simply input several amount of value and then simply have a click that is able to run a complex algorithm.

All I am thinking that is it possible to transplant the .xlsm to .exe. That would look more professional than an excel file.

Thank you for your concern.

Lawrence

Wednesday, October 5, 2016 7:01 AM
  • Hi LawrenceMa,

I think you still have a misunderstanding.

you are talking about VB and I am talking about VB.Net or C#.Net.

also you had mentioned that your .xlsm file have complex algorithms and it looks like you still want to use them.

here I want to clear that if you try to develop VB.Net document level customization then you need to convert your VBA code to VB.Net or you can call your macro from VB.Net code.

then also when you open the file it will open in the Excel Application.

it will not create any stand alone exe file which can use without Excel.

so Excel Application is necessary. your code will not work without that.

so here I want to suggest you that you should know about the VSTO properly before starting any development.

Regards

Deepak  

Wednesday, October 5, 2016 7:45 AM