none
Problem printing from an .accde RRS feed

  • Question

  • I have three databases a backend that has a password (backend.accdb), a frontend that has a password (frontend.accde) and a start up that does not have a password (startup.accde).  I have found that people can import my linked tables from my frontend database so I have put a password on the front end.  To keep the password private, I'm using a startup databases that is compiled to open the frontend where the password opens the frontend.accde and then closes the startup.accde.  This seems to be working fine except when it prints out a report.  The report prints but then the Microsoft Access has stop working message appears and I'm kicked out.  This only happens when I'm using the startup databases to open the frontend database.  If I open the frontend database and put in the password, it prints fine.  Any clues why this happens when I use the startup.accde?  Thanks
    Monday, April 30, 2018 10:23 PM

Answers

  • Based on your test result, it seems your issue is not related with image. 

    While recreating the report, you may test the field one by one to chceck which control cause this issue.


    MSDN Community Support
    Please remember to click "Mark as Answer" the responses that resolved your issue, and to click "Unmark as Answer" if not. This can be beneficial to other community members reading this thread. If you have any compliments or complaints to MSDN Support, feel free to contact MSDNFSF@microsoft.com.

    Thursday, May 3, 2018 5:34 AM

All replies

  • Hi,

    We may need a clue first on how you're opening the FE using the Startup file, especially if you're using automation.

    If you're using Shell or ShellExecute, you might have a different result.

    Just a thought...

    Tuesday, May 1, 2018 12:23 AM
  • Thank you for your quick response.  I've discovered that it is only happening on one report and this report has a jpeg on it that.  My start up is using this VBA.

    Function OpenFrontEnd()

    Dim dbApp As Object

    Dim mname As Variant

    mname = “\\PathOfMyFrontEnd\FrontEnd.accde"

    Set dbApp = CreateObject("Access.Application")

    dbApp.OpenCurrentDatabase mname, False, "pass=Word"

    dbApp.Visible = True

    DoCmd.RunCommand acCmdExit

    End Function

    I would appreciate any help. 

    Tuesday, May 1, 2018 4:10 PM
  • Hi Arkansas,

    >>I've discovered that it is only happening on one report and this report has a jpeg on it that.

    Based on this, your issue is only happening to specific report.

    It would be helpful if you could share us a simple project, then we could try to reproduce your issue closely.

    Best Regards,

    Tao Zhou


    MSDN Community Support
    Please remember to click "Mark as Answer" the responses that resolved your issue, and to click "Unmark as Answer" if not. This can be beneficial to other community members reading this thread. If you have any compliments or complaints to MSDN Support, feel free to contact MSDNFSF@microsoft.com.

    Wednesday, May 2, 2018 5:25 AM
  • If the issue is on a particular report with an image, try the following to further isolate the problem:

    1.  Try the report with no image (if this fails, try recreating the report starting with a new report and copying controls, code, etc from the original)

    2.  Try the report with a different image

    A client of mine had a similar issue recently.  In his case, the underlying problem was that the image was too large for the printer to handle.


    Miriam Bizup Access MVP

    Wednesday, May 2, 2018 1:37 PM
  • Miriam,  I tried option 2 and got the same results.  I tried option 1 with out the image and got the same results.  I'll try recreating the report.  Thanks
    Wednesday, May 2, 2018 4:58 PM
  • Based on your test result, it seems your issue is not related with image. 

    While recreating the report, you may test the field one by one to chceck which control cause this issue.


    MSDN Community Support
    Please remember to click "Mark as Answer" the responses that resolved your issue, and to click "Unmark as Answer" if not. This can be beneficial to other community members reading this thread. If you have any compliments or complaints to MSDN Support, feel free to contact MSDNFSF@microsoft.com.

    Thursday, May 3, 2018 5:34 AM
  • Thank you I intend to do that today
    Thursday, May 3, 2018 2:49 PM
  • The problem has been resolved. Recreating the report would have solved the problem but before I did that I reviewed some of the VBA in the report (this was a complicated report with about four subforms and I was getting a little lazy!). First to clarify what was happening, when they pulled up a print preview of the report I have a custom ribbon where they can print, email or close the report. What made it a little more complicated was that when they went to print the report, it wasn't the same report that was in the print preview. I had copied the original report (the one that was in the print preview) and made modifications. When I went to review the VBA on the print version of the report there was some VBA in the report that specified the ribbon, redefined the Caption on the report and then a maximize command.  I removed all of these from the print version of the report and now everything is working!

    What I still don't understand was that everything worked fine if I opened up my Frontend.accde directly.  But when I opened my Frontend.accde with my Startup.accde that was when the problem occurred.  Oh Well, it's working now.

    Thanks MSDN support

     
    Thursday, May 3, 2018 6:01 PM