Is it possible to get the Modified Date of a form template from within a workflow? RRS feed

• Question

• Is it possible to get the Modified Date of a form template (template.xsn file) from within a workflow? I have several form libraries that each use a custom InfoPath template. I also have a Saved Forms Library for holding partially completed forms that eventually get submitted to the other libraries. Whenever I have to make a change to one of the templates and republish it, any forms in the Saved Forms Library that are based on that particular template have to be purged, since they were created from the previous (obsolete) one. Ideally I'd love to have a workflow that triggers when the new template is published but since I don't see any way of attaching a workflow to the "forms" folder that contains the template.xsn file, I guess that's not an option. So I'd settle for a workflow attached to something else that could compare the Created Date of each item in the Saved Forms Library against the Modified Date of its associated template. I just need to figure out how to get that date. Any ideas? Thanks, Joe

Wednesday, August 24, 2011 9:56 PM

All replies

• When publishing a form template is it possible to have the modification date stored somewhere in Sharepoint (e.g. a list item) such that the date could then be used by a workflow?

Joe

Why was this post moved from the InfoPath Forms Services forum?  It's a legitimate question for that forum and now the people over there won't see it or have the opportunity to contribute answers.

Wednesday, August 24, 2011 11:52 PM
  • Hi JetsFan,

To get the modified date of a form template out of the box, right click the form template in Explorer View, choose properties, it will be shown in form template properties form.

Since the form template is not an item of a list, in this situation, you may need to compare them manually, to trigger whether the template of items in Saved From Library has been changed, you may consider customizing a timer jobs, for more information about customizing  timer jobs, please refer to: http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc406686(v=office.12).aspx

Thanks,
    Qiao Wei

Friday, August 26, 2011 11:03 AM
  • Hi Qiao Wei,

I'm looking to automate the comparison of the two dates and act accordingly.  How does manually examining the form template in Expolorer View help me?  I have already developed a workflow that can loop through each item in my Saved Forms Library, but I need a way to compare the creation date of those items to the modified date of the corresponding form template.   Without some way of obtaining the date of the form template, from within my workflow, I cannot achieve this.

Joe

Friday, August 26, 2011 3:54 PM