VS2011 Project Upgrade To VS2012 stuck on loading screen. RRS feed

• Question

• I have huge project which I upgraded to VS2012, after going through all errors and fixing them and rebuilding the app runs fine but gets stuck in loading screen, I created new project from previous version of VS2011 and upgraded the project to 2012 which worked perfectly with same extensions included as in the huge project. here is the immediate window log from 2012 huge project when I run it:

A first chance exception of type 'System.Configuration.ConfigurationErrorsException' occurred in System.Configuration.dll

A first chance exception of type 'System.Configuration.ConfigurationErrorsException' occurred in System.Configuration.dll

A first chance exception of type 'System.ServiceModel.CommunicationException' occurred in System.ServiceModel.DomainServices.Hosting.dll

A first chance exception of type 'System.NullReferenceException' occurred in Microsoft.VisualStudio.Diagnostics.ServiceModelSink.dll

A first chance exception of type 'System.IO.FileNotFoundException' occurred in mscorlib.dll

A first chance exception of type 'System.IO.FileNotFoundException' occurred in mscorlib.dll

A first chance exception of type 'System.IO.FileNotFoundException' occurred in Microsoft.LightSwitch.Server.Internal.dll

A first chance exception of type 'System.IO.FileNotFoundException' occurred in Microsoft.LightSwitch.Server.Internal.dll

A first chance exception of type 'System.IO.FileNotFoundException' occurred in Microsoft.LightSwitch.Server.dll

A first chance exception of type 'System.IO.FileNotFoundException' occurred in Microsoft.LightSwitch.Server.dll

A first chance exception of type 'System.Reflection.TargetInvocationException' occurred in mscorlib.dll

A first chance exception of type 'System.Reflection.TargetInvocationException' occurred in mscorlib.dll

A first chance exception of type 'System.IO.FileNotFoundException' occurred in System.ServiceModel.DomainServices.Server.dll

A first chance exception of type 'System.IO.FileNotFoundException' occurred in System.ServiceModel.DomainServices.Server.dll

A first chance exception of type 'System.ServiceModel.FaultException`1' occurred in System.ServiceModel.DomainServices.Hosting.dll

A first chance exception of type 'System.ServiceModel.FaultException`1' occurred in System.ServiceModel.DomainServices.Hosting.dll

A first chance exception of type 'System.ServiceModel.FaultException`1' occurred in System.ServiceModel.dll

A first chance exception of type 'System.ServiceModel.FaultException`1' occurred in System.ServiceModel.dll

A first chance exception of type 'System.PlatformNotSupportedException' occurred in System.Web.dll

A first chance exception of type 'System.PlatformNotSupportedException' occurred in System.Web.dll

A first chance exception of type 'System.Net.WebException' occurred in System.Windows.dll

A first chance exception of type 'System.Data.Services.Http.WebException' occurred in Microsoft.Data.Services.Client.SL

A first chance exception of type 'System.ServiceModel.FaultException`1' occurred in System.ServiceModel.DomainServices.Client.Web

A first chance exception of type 'System.ServiceModel.DomainServices.Client.DomainOperationException' occurred in System.ServiceModel.DomainServices.Client.Web

A first chance exception of type 'System.Data.Services.Client.DataServiceClientException' occurred in Microsoft.Data.Services.Client.SL

A first chance exception of type 'System.Data.Services.Client.DataServiceQueryException' occurred in Microsoft.Data.Services.Client.SL

A first chance exception of type 'System.Data.Services.Client.DataServiceQueryException' occurred in Microsoft.Data.Services.Client.SL

A first chance exception of type 'Microsoft.LightSwitch.DataServiceOperationException' occurred in Microsoft.LightSwitch

A first chance exception of type 'Microsoft.LightSwitch.DataServiceOperationException' occurred in Microsoft.LightSwitch.Client.Internal

Tuesday, April 30, 2013 11:11 AM

All replies

• Do you have any code in Application_Initialized? Or in the start-up screen? Anything in there that causes a run-time exception will result in the behaviour you describe.

Yann Duran
         - Co-Author of Pro Visual Studio LightSwitch 2011
         - Author of the  LightSwitch Central Blog

FREE Download: Luminous Tools for LightSwitch
    (a Visual Studio productivity extension for LightSwitch)

Click Mark as Answer, if someone's reply answers your question
    Click  Vote as Helpful, if someone's reply is helpful

By doing this you'll help everyone find answers faster.

Tuesday, April 30, 2013 1:05 PM
  • HI Yann,

I had code in Application_Initialized but I have commented it out, also I have now removed all devexpress 12.2. from the project and now I am able to get into application but I have red x issue everywhere. here is the log from immediate:

A first chance exception of type 'System.IO.FileNotFoundException' occurred in Microsoft.WindowsAzure.ServiceRuntime.dll

A first chance exception of type 'System.TypeInitializationException' occurred in Microsoft.LightSwitch.Server.Internal.dll

A first chance exception of type 'System.TypeInitializationException' occurred in Microsoft.LightSwitch.Base.Server.dll

A first chance exception of type 'System.UnauthorizedAccessException' occurred in System.Windows.dll

A first chance exception of type 'System.TimeoutException' occurred in Microsoft.LightSwitch

A first chance exception of type 'System.Data.SqlClient.SqlException' occurred in System.Data.dll

A first chance exception of type 'System.Data.SqlClient.SqlException' occurred in System.Data.dll

A first chance exception of type 'System.Data.EntityCommandExecutionException' occurred in System.Data.Entity.dll

A first chance exception of type 'System.Data.EntityCommandExecutionException' occurred in System.Data.Entity.dll

A first chance exception of type 'System.Data.EntityCommandExecutionException' occurred in Microsoft.LightSwitch.dll

A first chance exception of type 'System.Data.EntityCommandExecutionException' occurred in Microsoft.LightSwitch.dll

A first chance exception of type 'System.ObjectDisposedException' occurred in System.Transactions.dll

A first chance exception of type 'System.ObjectDisposedException' occurred in System.Transactions.dll

A first chance exception of type 'System.Net.WebException' occurred in System.Windows.dll

A first chance exception of type 'System.Data.Services.Http.WebException' occurred in Microsoft.Data.Services.Client.SL

A first chance exception of type 'System.Data.Services.Client.DataServiceClientException' occurred in Microsoft.Data.Services.Client.SL

A first chance exception of type 'System.ServiceModel.CommunicationObjectAbortedException' occurred in System.ServiceModel.dll

A first chance exception of type 'System.Net.Sockets.SocketException' occurred in System.dll

A first chance exception of type 'System.Net.Sockets.SocketException' occurred in System.dll

I have also found out when I clicked one of the screens I receive error: Invalid column name 'RowVersion', I know this is something new hidden field in entity but thats all I know about it.
    Tuesday, April 30, 2013 1:44 PM
  • It's good to hear that you've at least managed to move forward a little.

I wouldn't worry too much about the "first chance" exceptions. They won't be what's causing any of your problems. There's often a list of them for any LS application, but we don't usually look in the immediate window under normal circumstances, & just don't usually see them.

To find the real culprits causing your errors, you'd either need to use Fiddler, or temporarily turn your desktop application (if it is one) into a web application, & turn on tracing. I'm no expert in either of these areas, but if you need help, I can dig up some links for you.

Knowing that you had DevXpress in there is a bit of a worry, as they often don't "remove" well, & have often been the cause of upgrade problems. That said, it may not be them at all.

Have you checked the web.config file to see that the connection strings are still validly pointing to your database (& any external data sources)?

If none of this helps you solve your problem, & no other advice comes from the LightSwitch team, I'd be happy to have a look at it with you, via Skype/screen sharing, to see if I can help you resolve it. Just let me know.

Yann Duran
         - Co-Author of Pro Visual Studio LightSwitch 2011
         - Author of the  LightSwitch Central Blog

FREE Download: Luminous Tools for LightSwitch
    (a Visual Studio productivity extension for LightSwitch)

Click Mark as Answer, if someone's reply answers your question
    Click  Vote as Helpful, if someone's reply is helpful

By doing this you'll help everyone find answers faster.

Tuesday, April 30, 2013 5:26 PM