none
How to provide programmatic update with windows installer RRS feed

• Question

• How to provide programmatic update for windows installer deployed windows forms applications?

Tuesday, March 30, 2010 11:41 AM

Answers

• The only existing update service I know of is provided by a 3rd party. There is no automatic download of patches unless (in the 3rd party case) you want to pay for the service. The alternative is for you to have a server that offers a webservice that your app calls.  Basically you want a database on the server that has the ProductCode guids of the versions you have shipped, an indication of whether there is an update for it, and a location where your app can download the update from.
    Phil Wilson
    • Marked as answer by Salini Kumari Thursday, April 1, 2010 4:53 AM
    Wednesday, March 31, 2010 7:40 PM
  • Thank you for Phil's and Silna's kindly help.

Hi Salini,

Thank you for your reply.

I agree with Phil. For your concern, you might resort to some third party tools to do the job. Thus, please try Phil's suggestion.

BTW, this forum is for the support of .NET Framework installation. If you have any concern on Winform application deployment further, you could post your thread on ClickOnce and Setup & Deployment Projects forum. This will make answer searching in the forum easier and be beneficial to other community members as well.

Thank you for your understanding.

Hope this helps. If you have any concern, please feel free to let me know.

Best regards,
    Yichun Chen
    Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help.
    Welcome to the All-In-One Code Framework! If you have any feedback, please tell us.
    Thursday, April 1, 2010 3:59 AM

All replies

• Hi

U can do it using click once deployment

Refer this link for additional info:-

http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/t71a733d(VS.80).aspx

http://social.msdn.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/netfxsetup/thread/d2c77bb2-9125-480f-acf8-fb7c1aa12d1f

Thanks

Silna

Best Regards,
    Silna
    BIC
    Please remember to mark the correct replies as answers
    Wednesday, March 31, 2010 4:38 AM
  • Hi Silna,

But my actual requirement is
    1. Machine level installation, - Click Once supports only Per User level installation
    Is there any way to install for all users using ClickOnce?
    2. In Click Once, the installation location is %USERPROFILE% folder
    i need to install in a specific folder for example, "C:\CompanyName\"

Due to the above limitation of ClickOnce, we are going to Windows Installer Deployment

With Windows Installer, how to provide programmatic update logic?
    The System.Deployment.ApplicationDeployment is used to provide programmatic update with ClickOnce Deployment. Similar to this, is there any APIs available for Windows  Installer Deployment  in .NET FrameWork?
    or else how do we do this ?

For example, MSN Messenger alerts for latest update and it downloads and installs the update.
    and Norton Live Update also does the similar ..?
    i want similar to these application auto update technology...

Thanks,
    B. Salini Kumari

Wednesday, March 31, 2010 5:15 AM
  • Hi

yes u r right

ClickOnce applications are installed for just one user. If several persons log onto the same computer with different logins, you have to install for each of them. You can't install an application for all users on a workstation.

Using XCopy or a setup & deployment package and rolling your own incremental update methodology would be the way to go if you absolutely have to have an All Users installation.

Thanks

Silna

Best Regards,
    Silna
    BIC
    Please remember to mark the correct replies as answers
    Wednesday, March 31, 2010 6:54 AM
  • Hi Salini,

Thank you for your post.

It looks like that you want to create patch file for your Winform application.

As far as I know, as a path, it is a .msp file. We cannot create EXE or MSI file to create a patch file.
    ClickOnce application is installed for current user. Moreover, Visual Studio setup projects don't have support for creating patches.
    Thus, you'd have to use MsiMsp.exe in the Windows SDK or some third party tools that can make patches.

However, if you want to do some upgrades with Visual Studio setups, here is the similar issue that can be helpful.
    Please check: http://social.msdn.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/winformssetup/thread/bf0ad479-3f8e-4500-ab86-60e8992b8deb

Best regards,
    Yichun Chen
    Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help.
    Welcome to the All-In-One Code Framework! If you have any feedback, please tell us.
    Wednesday, March 31, 2010 9:39 AM
  • Hi YiChun Chen,

As you said, i need to create a patch for the Windows Forms application.
    But the update patches will be available often. 

The Windows Forms application has to check for any new patches are available (which will be in a website) before it runs everytime. and if it detects any update it has to download and install and then reload the application with newer version.. (Similar to ClickOnce Automatic Update) 

My problem is, The windows Application has to check for update in a website, for doing this
    any API is available that i can directly use, or i have to write my own custom logic to check
    for new update?

Example:-
    MSN Messenger detects the newer version availabilty and prompts the user to download the newer version.
    I need to achieve similar to this..

Thanks
    B. Salini Kumari

Wednesday, March 31, 2010 10:54 AM
  • The only existing update service I know of is provided by a 3rd party. There is no automatic download of patches unless (in the 3rd party case) you want to pay for the service. The alternative is for you to have a server that offers a webservice that your app calls.  Basically you want a database on the server that has the ProductCode guids of the versions you have shipped, an indication of whether there is an update for it, and a location where your app can download the update from.
    Phil Wilson
    Wednesday, March 31, 2010 7:40 PM
  • Thank you for Phil's and Silna's kindly help.

Hi Salini,

I agree with Phil. For your concern, you might resort to some third party tools to do the job. Thus, please try Phil's suggestion.

BTW, this forum is for the support of .NET Framework installation. If you have any concern on Winform application deployment further, you could post your thread on ClickOnce and Setup & Deployment Projects forum. This will make answer searching in the forum easier and be beneficial to other community members as well.

Thank you for your understanding.

Best regards,
    Yichun Chen
    Thursday, April 1, 2010 3:59 AM
  • Hi,

Thank you all for the help.

Thanks,
    B. Salini Kumari

Thursday, April 1, 2010 4:52 AM
  • Hi Salini,

It's my pleasure!

Have a nice day.

Best regards,
    Yichun Chen
    Thursday, April 1, 2010 5:07 AM
  • Hi,

Recently, i heard about "Updater Application Block" by Microsoft Patterns and Practices for developing auto updating .NET applications...

This looks suitable for my requirement.
    But, It ues Enterprise Library June 2005...(and uses Visual Studio .NET 2003)
    i dont know 2005 is the latest release
    or is there any new release is available to use with VS2008...

Since it is relased in 2005, i am hesitating to use this,  

please suggest about this "Updater Application Block"

Thanks
    B. Salini Kumari

Tuesday, April 6, 2010 6:06 AM