Desktop Windows Applications should behave as if its a guest OS app running in seamless mode

General discussion

• Desktop applications need to run in seamless mode. As the desktop is running under a metro frame and is seemless. Same way any desktop applications launched should also be running in a metro container window. This is a natural way and is standard now a days with any guest OS. Why microsoft did not do this? Any rational behind this? This one feature Microsoft must implement.
    • Edited by Amrit Batra Friday, February 03, 2012 4:35 PM
    Friday, February 03, 2012 2:49 PM

All replies

• There seems to be a fundamental fact about Windows 8 that most people are forgetting. The desktop in Windows 8 is not an app, does not act like an app, and can never be an app. Microsoft has already added various UI elements to the Windows experience to make the desktop look like it's running under the Metro UI, but in many ways, it's the other way around. Metro runs on top of the desktop base. The desktop is not a "guest OS," nor do I see any reason to think of it as one. Are you suggesting that desktop apps should run on top of the Metro experience or look like Metro apps? Both of these are a bad idea, unless the OS is running on a touch-enabled tablet. I am still convinced that desktops need a way to disable Metro entirely.
    Saturday, February 04, 2012 2:47 AM
  • New OS is windows 8, Destkop is windows 7. So two different OS. Like XP was under windows 7. Windows 8 Standard is Metro window. Like if we run Windows 7 as guest os on any vm environment even on mac. windows 7 windows run under a container of a mac window. This is called a seemless mode. First advantage app switching between MS word, MS excel running under desktop or any such app which is not metro. So switching from a metro app to any desk top app is using the same paradigm as in windows 8. Next advantage is new interface alows for side by side display of applications. Now you don't have to worry is its a old desktop app or a new app. I use a touch screen laptop and use windows 7 ( aka desktop mode in windows 8). current version of most apps work great in the windows 7 touch environment. I do not see them totaly out of sync or can not work in touch environment. Also we have lot of apps that are touch friendly and can run only under desktop mode in Windows 8. So assuming that Desktop mode of windows 8 is not touch friendly and is not usable in a tablet is wrong. windows 7 is available on many tablets and touch screen laptops and desktop computers. On my touch screen laptop I feel completely disconnected between metro apps and destop apps. When you place desktop window and metro app side by side. desktop apps become a vertical list of thumbnails. So makes it completely dis connected from each other. So this is higly desiarble and common sense approach that lets desktop apps transition to more touch friendly mode. Windows 7 provided that transition and many apps have already moved in that direction. Microsft ribbon is one such idea.
    Monday, February 06, 2012 5:14 PM
  • New OS is windows 8, Destkop is windows 7. So two different OS. Like XP was under windows 7. Windows 8 Standard is Metro window. Like if we run Windows 7 as guest os on any vm environment even on mac. windows 7 windows run under a container of a mac window.

NO! This is not true at all. While many people like to call the Windows 8 desktop a "Windows 7 mode," it doesn't work like that. The desktop in Windows 8 has received many changes, and is intended for running both new and old programs. The desktop in Windows 8 is as much a part of Windows 8 as Metro is, and does not use any form of virtualization. In fact, you could almost say that Metro in Windows 8 runs on top of the desktop.
    Monday, February 06, 2012 8:02 PM
  • Still, whatever it is one way or the other at the end of the day MS needs to provide a paradigm where desktop and new metro application/ tasks/program need to run in parallel along side by side.  VM technology usage or using windows 7 aka desktop is all ideas are not necessely acurate from a pure technology prespective. My whole view point is from the end user interaction with the product. Today we have so many touch apps created specifically to meet the touch experience on windows 7. They can co-exist under the metro apps without any less touch friendly experience. Term seemless and VM are only mentioned to convey the type of end user experience and not the underlying technology. If the idea was use desktop mode or metro mode then MS failed. Then its no inovation. Success will be when the two paradigms of metro and desktop converge using the ideas of seamless co existence and user being not forced to switch between two completely different paradigms. Usings swipes to switch windows or using old Alt tabs. At the end MS has to think what are they trying to achieve. If this is also a short term experiment then they are doomed to fail in long term and competition will kill them once and for all. Why windows 7 touch experince never took off? Why microsoft failed to use that as a building block for its next generation os. If the two will be completely out of sync people will dump the os. Ultimately users just don't need to be able to run the old desktop apps, but also being able to use them in a way that alows for the transition to new paradigm. My feeling is by keeping them completely cut off between old and new will restrict users and companies to delay the adaption of the new OS. Like they delayed adaption of vista and windows 7 and that has been hurting MS. Same way when they build Phone 7, they missed to make sure to take adavantage of the power full features of old OS while building the new OS. Exactly what we see a slow adaption of Phone 7 is hurting the windows phone sales. Will continue to hurt the sales of windows 8 if its not well integrated with old paradigm. User should be able to switch between old apps, old touch enabled apps and metro apps in as seem less as possible. 
    Tuesday, February 07, 2012 3:56 AM