Why does it feel so much like a vista problem is coming?

General discussion

• I've been using the pdc version since it is available, both on a tablet and on a desktop. Its nice on the tablet, with the new interface, great touch controls, responsiveness, performance, it really feels adequate, even if we should be able to -close- (not suspend) apps, and have a faster way to power off the system other than having to go through 2 or 3 different places (that feels like going backwards in usability).

But.

For a desktop? I'd rather stick to 7. This is nowhere near being useful for a desktop pc. Its a clumsy interface, metro doesn't match with the desktop interface, parts like connecting to a network show up with metro colors, file smart screen show up with a large green blob in front of the desktop, not having a start menu like 7 is a true crime against productivity, and, -even tho its a developers release-, 7 was never this bad when it came out.

Of course it has great stuff in too - hyper-v, explorer enhancements, the new system restore, the better performance, are all great features - but the problems offset those completely.

This is, unfortunately, the worst first impression possible. The IT people, the professionals, the ones that actually want their desktop pc's to behave like desktop pcs instead of just glorified phones, are finding it VERY hard to accept all the changes proposed. The corporate IT people that keep an eye on this are very suspicious of the OS atm. The first betas should strive to change this in very tangible ways. This is the same kind of feeling that existed when people first face Vista. It just "feels" wrong, for lack of a better explanation.

Keep metro where it can actually work - tablets, phones, arm devices. But don't try to win the tablet market by ditching the desktop one. And do so fast, at the risk of this being another skip-version, like Me and Vista.

And you did such a great job on 7.

Friday, September 16, 2011 11:06 AM

All replies

• Metro UI isn't made for desktops - that's clear. But switching away from it is so easy, and  the advantages in developing for 8 & Metro are really amazing. I think any developer should switch to Windows8 instead of holding on to old traditions. If you stay with 7, how are you going to write applications for the most recent audience?
    0x2B |~ 0x2B Blog : www.it-ca.net/blogdylan
    Friday, September 16, 2011 11:28 AM
  • Metro UI isn't made for desktops - that's clear. But switching away from it is so easy, and  0x2B |~ 0x2B Blog : www.it-ca.net/blogdylan

This is what I have missed so far. How do I switch away from the phone interface so I can use the keyboard and mouse?

Thanks for mentioning that it's possible -- I now have hope!

Friday, September 16, 2011 11:47 AM
  • Multiple ways to do it, you can use the "RPenabled to 0" function, but that probably reverses more then you want (http://it-ca.net/blogdylan/?p=194)

Alternatively you can just "get used" to Metro, I don't ever have to use it really, I just work on my desktop and when I need an application I just press WindowsKey + Q to open up the search bar ;)

Friday, September 16, 2011 11:50 AM
  • Multiple ways to do it, you can use the "RPenabled to 0" function, but that probably reverses more then you want (http://it-ca.net/blogdylan/?p=194)

Alternatively you can just "get used" to Metro, I don't ever have to use it really, I just work on my desktop and when I need an application I just press WindowsKey + Q to open up the search bar ;)

But that makes the assumption that you know the name of the application you want. Say, for example, Visual Studio 2010. Can you remember the names of all the applications that come with it? The ones that show up in the visual studio program group from the top of your head (that is, without going into the start menu program group and looking)? The new start screen is sorted alphabetically when you search for a program, you have to already know its name - sometimes, new programs you install add other things to the system other than the main application - and the names are not obvious every time.

• Edited by Joao M Correia Friday, September 16, 2011 1:21 PM extra "and"
    Friday, September 16, 2011 1:20 PM