Can i use an existing Office'10 license to try out Office on Win8?

Question

• I have office 10 pro - and am running it on Win7. I just installed Win8 on the same machine(dual boot). Can I use the same license to test out Office 10 on windows 8 - or do I need another license?

Sunday, September 18, 2011 12:53 PM

All replies

• I would guess that you will need another license. Or you can use Office 2010 trial for 60 days. http://office.microsoft.com/en-us/try/ 
    Marin
    Sunday, September 18, 2011 2:38 PM
  • "OVERVIEW. The software is licensed on a per copy per device basis. A hardware partition or blade is considered to be a separate device.

2. INSTALLATION AND USE RIGHTS.

a. One Copy per Device. You may install one copy of the software on one device. That device is the “licensed device.”

b. Licensed Device. You may only use one copy of the software on the licensed device at a time.

c. Portable Device. You may install another copy of the software on a portable device for use by the single primary user of the licensed device. ..."

from my understanding this means that installing office on a partition counts as installing on a separate device. And since my primary device is a laptop, I think i can treat the secondary partition as the portable device mentioned above.

Sunday, September 18, 2011 2:44 PM
  • Well, as I sed, this is my guess, I am not licensing expert. I do know you can use same license on two machines but not at the same time. It would be easier to just use trial software on Windows 8 since it will expire anyway.
    Marin
    Sunday, September 18, 2011 2:51 PM
  • First check that you have a full (boxed) version of Office 2010. If you have it, the terms above really apply to you. If you have bought OEM or MLK version, you need to find terms valid for OEM (which limits you to just one single licence).

With boxed versions, you have basically two licences, one "shared" (everybody using that computer can use Office; in terms called Licensed Device) and one "named" (only one user of that computer can use Office on it, others not; in terms called Portable Device).

As far as I understood, the hardware partition is something different than you think, check http://docstore.mik.ua/manuals/hp-ux/en/5992-4580/ch02s07.html.

So we have just one device, not two. If there is no word that the "portable device" must be physically different device than the "licensed device", you can use that "another copy" on the same device as the first copy. So you can consume your second licence for the second partition as far as the device might be called "portable" (which a laptop is).

However, use of trial would be the best catch because you are likely to format or reinstall the Windows 8 partition quite soon. You can grab the trial at http://office.microsoft.com/en-us/try/

• Edited by MCCZ Sunday, September 18, 2011 3:05 PM
    • Marked as answer by Pranjal Y Kumar Sunday, September 18, 2011 4:29 PM
    • Unmarked as answer by Pranjal Y Kumar Sunday, September 18, 2011 4:29 PM
    Sunday, September 18, 2011 3:03 PM
  • Thanks Marin and MCCZ. I have the full, boxed version. Searched on the internet for some use cases - it seems it is legal to use the retail license for dual boot machines!
    Sunday, September 18, 2011 4:29 PM