none
18362 SDK: unexpected PRI257 warning

Question

• Seeing this warning from MakePri.exe when building my UWP app with the 18362 SDK. Was not seeing this warning in prior SDKs:

1>  GENERATEPROJECTPRIFILE : warning : PRI257: 0xdef00522 - Resources found for language(s) 'en,en-us,de-de,es-es,fr-fr,it-it,ja-jp,ko-kr,pt-br,ru-ru,uk-ua,zh-cn,zh-tw' but no resources found for default language(s): 'en-us'. Change the default language or qualify resources with the default language. http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkId=231899

My default language is 'en' and I have one resw file in the project, which lives happily under a directory named 'en'.

What's going on here?

Thursday, May 16, 2019 5:41 AM

All replies

• Hi,

So you are trying use MakePri.exe to create a dumped xml file containing a list of all resources in a specified PRI file, right? I have questions here.  Do you have changed anything in your app when you re-target the version to Build 18362? What about change the resource file's name as "en-US"? 

Best regards,

Roy

MSDN Community Support
    Please remember to click "Mark as Answer" the responses that resolved your issue, and to click "Unmark as Answer" if not. This can be beneficial to other community members reading this thread. If you have any compliments or complaints to MSDN Support, feel free to contact MSDNFSF@microsoft.com.

Thursday, May 16, 2019 8:25 AM
  • No changes at all. Just switching target SDK from 17134 (with no warnings) to 18362 triggers the warning.

From a project perspective, the resources file is named Strings\en\Resources.resw. Renaming it to Strings\en\en.resw (or en-US.resw) makes no difference: same warning.

Aside: it's a little odd that makepri thinks my default language is en-us when it is, in fact, en.

Thursday, May 16, 2019 3:08 PM
  • Hi,

Yes, it's strange, I'll report this issue to the team. And I also suggest you to report this in the FeedBack Hub.You could find it in the Start Menu. To avoid the error, please using the 17134 or 17763 SDK instead temporarily.

Thank you for your patience.

Best regards,

Roy

MSDN Community Support
    Please remember to click "Mark as Answer" the responses that resolved your issue, and to click "Unmark as Answer" if not. This can be beneficial to other community members reading this thread. If you have any compliments or complaints to MSDN Support, feel free to contact MSDNFSF@microsoft.com.

Friday, May 17, 2019 8:11 AM
  • Hello,

I get the same warning in VS 2017 under a german Windows 10, build 17763, when rebuilding a C# UWP project:

GENERATEPROJECTPRIFILE : warning PRI257: 0xdef00522 - Resources found for language(s) 'de-de,zh-hans' but no resources found for default language(s): 'en-US'. Change the default language or qualify resources with the default language. http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkId=231899

In the project I have the root folders de-DE and zh-Hans, each with a Resource.resw and a dummy entry.
    The default language de-DE is set in the package manifest under Application. The default language is not en-US.

I get this warning in VS 2017 since last year, I think when I switched from VS 2015 to VS 2017 and also changed the target version. So far I have simply ignored this warning.

The language in VS is set to 'same as Windows' (German), but it doesn't matter.

Best Regards,

Heiko

Sunday, May 19, 2019 11:59 AM
  • Hi,

I still have a question here. Are you doing this in build 18362?

Best regards,

Roy

MSDN Community Support

Monday, May 20, 2019 6:04 AM
  • Are you doing this in build 18362?

I am.

Monday, May 20, 2019 6:10 AM
  • TargetPlatformVersion: 10.0.17763.0
    TargetPlatformMinVersion: 10.0.10586.0
    Windows Build: 17763.503

Monday, May 20, 2019 10:07 AM
  • Hi,

Have you tried it with other devices? Does other devices give the same error? I made a package in my side in build 17763 but I could not get such a problem when I only have the en resource. 

Best regards,

Roy

MSDN Community Support

Tuesday, May 21, 2019 6:04 AM
  • Hello Roy,

I copied my solution to a new virtual machine with Windows 10 build 17763 and VS 2019 Community RC. I rebuilt the project and get the same warning.

Then I created with VS 2019 Community RC a new solution, set the default language in Package-Manifest to de-DE, added folders de-DE and es-ES, added files Resource.resw with a dummy entry and rebuilt the project. Now I don't get any error or warning.

Then I created the same solution in my "old" virtual machine, also with Windows 10 build 17763 and with VS 2017, and I also didn't get any error or warning.

I don't know. I just wanted to mention that it also occurs to me in a project with a different Windows version and VS version. However, it can no longer be reproduced in new projects.

Best Regards,
    Heiko

Tuesday, May 21, 2019 4:49 PM