none
How do I obtain the two key files needed to collect trace information on x64 2003 machines? RRS feed

• Question

• The procedure for collecting ETW data using Xperf on Windows XP and 2003 is documented.  However, since the x64 MSI will only extract on an x64 Vista or 2008 machine, how does one obtain the two critical codefiles needed for collection on 2003 x64, if one does not have access to such a machine?  Virtual PC will not work because you cannot load an x64 OS in VPC on an x32 machine.  I have a customer that is in desperate need of capturing ETW data, but I know of no way to get them the codefiles they need to collect it.  Please adivse as soon as possible.  Thank you.
    Monday, February 2, 2009 8:17 PM

Answers

• Hi Jeff,

Sorry, I should have been more clear - pre-Vista OSes (XP, Server 2003) are not supported by WPT Kit, which is why you can't install the MSI on them. I hear your pain though, and I'll communicate this back to the team. Perhaps a limited deployment scenario can be enabled where only xperf.exe and perfctrl.dll are deployed on such releases for trace capture. Can't promise anything, but I'll try to make your case. For the time being though, finding a Vista machine to install the bits on is your best bet. If you can't find anyone with Vista64, consider going to BestBuy (or similar such store) and getting the bits installed on one of the machines in the store and then copying them bits to a USB stick.

Hope this helps,
    Michael

Sunday, February 8, 2009 2:19 PM

All replies

• There is a multitude of x64 machines around - quite a few of them come with Vista64, preinstalled. Find one such machine, install the WPT Kit on it, extract the two files in question, and provide them to your customer.

XP is not officially supported by WPT (i.e. we don't do any testing on it) and while it may work for some scenarios, it will likely not work for others. We do fully support all Vista+ scenarios, so if you are having trouble using WPT Kit on such releases, please let us know.

Hope this helps,
    Michael
    Monday, February 2, 2009 9:24 PM
  • Michael,
    Having an abundance of machines on x64 Vista or 2008 may be true of Microsoft, but it is not true of small companies such as mine.  In addition, the question was NOT regarding XP.  The question was about Windows 2003 x64.  I used the XP example because that is what YOU documented on the pigscanfly blog.  I need to use the same mechanism described in the pigscanfly blog on a Windows 2003 x64 box, but I have a catch-22 situation.  I cannot install the package to extract the codefiles I need to capture the trace on Windows 2003 x64.  I would prefer not to go back to using tracelog, etc. to obtain the ETW data.  There is a big gap here as most companies I work with have not adopted 2008 even if they are on x64.  Please advise.
    Monday, February 2, 2009 9:38 PM
  • Hi Jeff,

Sorry, I should have been more clear - pre-Vista OSes (XP, Server 2003) are not supported by WPT Kit, which is why you can't install the MSI on them. I hear your pain though, and I'll communicate this back to the team. Perhaps a limited deployment scenario can be enabled where only xperf.exe and perfctrl.dll are deployed on such releases for trace capture. Can't promise anything, but I'll try to make your case. For the time being though, finding a Vista machine to install the bits on is your best bet. If you can't find anyone with Vista64, consider going to BestBuy (or similar such store) and getting the bits installed on one of the machines in the store and then copying them bits to a USB stick.

Hope this helps,
    Michael

Sunday, February 8, 2009 2:19 PM