none
General Setup Question regarding Ssytem.XML assembly RRS feed

• Question

• Hello,

I have a solution running perfectly well on one machine (or actually quite a few machines).  All the code is in source safe and I am trying to set up a new machine with the solution but keep getting the following build errors:

'XName' is ambiguous in the namespace 'System.Xml.Linq'. InternalXmlHelper.vb 
    'XNamespace' is ambiguous in the namespace 'System.Xml.Linq'. InternalXmlHelper.vb 
    'XElement'is ambiguous in the namespace 'System.Xml.Linq'. InternalXmlHelper.vb 
    'XAttribute' is ambiguous in the namespace 'System.Xml.Linq'. InternalXmlHelper.vb 
    and so on...

The main difference that I noticed was that on the machines where the application builds, in the property page of the project whgere the build erros are occurring I check the reference list and I see a reference to the System.XML assembly (GAC, 2.0.0.0).  However in the machine with the build errors, even when I try to add a reference to the System.XML assembly I get no error messages, but afterr adding the assembly does NOT appear in the reference list.

In addition I have verified that I am able to create a new web application without any build or runtime errors on the machine experiencing these issues.

Any feedback would be greatly appreicated.

Thanks.

Sunday, December 27, 2009 5:05 PM

All replies

• Hi Barak P,

Based on your description, it seems that you had some issue when you tried to build one existing Web application on your new machine.

I tried creating a new web application and built this application on my machine. Then I went to the path: .....\WebApplication1\WebApplication1\bin and utilized .NET Reflector to check WebApplication1.dll. I found InternalXmlHelper Class in the node WebApplication1.My.

After some search, I found:
    For InternalXmlHelper Class, it provides properties and methods that support Visual Basic XML Literals. It is generated by Visual Basic compiler.

Thus, for this issue, I would suspect that the assembly Webapplication1.dll in the bin directory might be conflicting with the latest build of your web application.
    As we know, building the project would cause a delete of the old assembly and then a creation of the new one. If the IDE was unable to delete the old assembly, we would get the ambiguity error.

For your concern, you might try deleting this Webapplication1.dll in the path: .....\WebApplication1\WebApplication1\bin. Then rebuild this web application again. This might help your application to work properly.

Hope this helps! If you have any concern, please feel free to let me know.

Best regards,
    Yichun Chen
    MSDN Subscriber Support in Forum
    If you have any feedback on our support, please contact msdnmg@microsoft.com
    Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help.
    Welcome to the All-In-One Code Framework! If you have any feedback, please tell us.
    Monday, December 28, 2009 7:09 AM
  • Yichun,

Thank you for your reply, however I am not sure what you mean.  The dll that gets created when I build the project is automatically deleted (and recreated) when I build the project.  Do you mean the dll in the temp dir?

A little more background on the project the project was originally build in VB, but I have since added quite a lot of pages in C#.

What really confuses me is that the same project (and in turn solution) can build on another machine, but not on this new one, which leads me to believe it's a configuration issue on this machine. 

This is also does not sit well:
    However in the machine with the build errors, even when I try to add a reference to the System.XML assembly I get no error messages, but afterr adding the assembly does NOT appear in the reference list.

Any ideas?

Thanks.

Monday, December 28, 2009 3:55 PM
  • Hi Barak P,

Thank you for your reply.

Thank you for your reply, however I am not sure what you mean.  The dll that gets created when I build the project is automatically deleted (and recreated) when I build the project.  Do you mean the dll in the temp dir?

It doesn't mean that this DLL is temporary file in the temp folder.
    When we build one project for the first time, VS compiler will generate [ProjectName].DLL in ...\bin directory.
    When we modify our project like changing the source code, we will re-build our project to update the modification. During re-building, VS compiler will generate new version [ProjectName].DLL to replace the previous one. This is what I mean that "building the project would cause a delete of the old assembly and then a creation of the new one."

Have you tried the suggestion to delete this [ProjectName].DLL in the folder: ...\bin >> rebuild this web application again? Does it work?

You also can check the following scenario that might cause this error message:
    Upgrade .NET 3.5 to .NET 3.5 SP1 if your project is targeted to .NET 3.5
    http://www.intersoftpt.com/Community/Lounge/errors-after-installing-sp1-2009/
    Apply Extension Method in .NET 2.0 web application
    http://spellcoder.com/blogs/dodyg/archive/2009/01/09/18172.aspx

What really confuses me is that the same project (and in turn solution) can build on another machine, but not on this new one, which leads me to believe it's a configuration issue on this machine. 

Could you please provide me more information of your web application project and this machine?
    For this specific machine which has issue:
       What is the Operation System?
       Which edition of Visual Studio are you running on this machine?
       Have you upgraded Visual Studio to SP1?
    For other machine that this solution can run well:
       What is the Operation System?
       Which edition of Visual Studio are you running on this machine?
       Have you upgraded Visual Studio to SP1?
    For project:
       What's the target framework?

A little more background on the project the project was originally build in VB, but I have since added quite a lot of pages in C#.

Do you mean that you created one C# project in this solution with VB.NET projects?
        What's the relation between them? Do you refer class library (created in C#) in your VB.NET project?

Please try to specify your concern more so that I can try to reproduce the scenario that you came across on my machine for further troubleshooting.

Thank you for your help.

This is also does not sit well:
    However in the machine with the build errors, even when I try to add a reference to the System.XML assembly I get no error messages, but afterr adding the assembly does NOT appear in the reference list.

By default, when we create a new web application, System.XML assembly will be added as reference as the following screenshot.

Could you please help me to check whether this weird scenario will happen when you create a new web application? 

Best regards,
    Yichun Chen

(This response contains a reference to a third party World Wide Web site. Microsoft is providing this information as a convenience to you. Microsoft does not control these sites and has not tested any software or information found on these sites; therefore, Microsoft cannot make any representations regarding the quality, safety, or suitability of any software or information found there. There are inherent dangers in the use of any software found on the Internet, and Microsoft cautions you to make sure that you completely understand the risk before retrieving any software from the Internet.)

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help.
    Welcome to the All-In-One Code Framework! If you have any feedback, please tell us.
    • Edited by YiChun Chen Wednesday, December 30, 2009 3:13 AM typo
    Tuesday, December 29, 2009 9:24 AM
  • Yichun,

First of all thanks again for your very detailed response.  I will try to provide as much detail as possible.

On the machine that is working I have the following configuration:

Vista  SP2

Visual Studio Team System 2008 Version 9.0.30729.1 SP

.NET 3.5 SP1 is installed

Target Framework: 3.5

Please note the screenshot of the project references below, particularly the System.XML reference

Machine that is not working:

Windows 7

Visual Studio Team System 2008 Version 9.0.30729.1 SP

.NET 3.5 SP1 is installed

Target Framework: 3.5

Please note the screenshot of the project references below, particularly the MISSING System.XML reference

Finally some information about the solution:

The solution contains 4 projects

-A website (this is the project that I am getting build errors on)

-A silverlight application

-2 class libraries

The web site has both VB and C# pages

Also, I just noticed one new error (I am not sure if I just did not catch it before or if it is new today):

Error 25 C:\inetpub\wwwroot\141Portal35\licenses.licx: Could not transform licenses file into a binary resource.  Index (zero based) must be greater than or equal to zero and less than the size of the argument list. C:\inetpub\wwwroot\141Portal35\licenses.licx C:\...\141Portal35\

Please let me know if there is any more information I can provide for you.

Again, thank you for your help. 

Tuesday, December 29, 2009 1:35 PM
  • Hi Barak P,

Thank you for your reply and clarification.

From the screenshots, I noticed that you added System.Web.Mobile as reference in your project. It seems that you're developing ASP.NET related mobile development, right?

For Windows 7, it includes the .NET Framework 3.5.1 as an OS component. This means you will get the .NET Framework 2.0 SP2, 3.0 SP2 and 3.5 SP1 plus a few post 3.5 SP1 bug fixes.

For your concern, one of the possible causes could be related to corrupted .NET Framework installation. Could you please help me to try .NET Framework Verification Tool to verify .NET Framework 3.5 SP1 on your Windows 7?
    Please check "Current status" to know the result of verification - success or failed.
    If they fail to be verified, we need to repair them. If you need to repair the .NET Framework 3.5.1 on Windows 7, you will need to use instructions like the ones in this blog post. (Also applied for Windows 7)

If .Net Framework 2.0, 3.0 or 3.5 can be verified successfully on your computer, we can isolate the possible cause of corrupted .NET Framework.
    For further troubleshooting, we need to check project build output. Please go to Tools menu >> Options >> Projects and Solutions >> Build and Run >> MSBuild project build output verbosity >> Change to "Diagnostic" option. Then build your project and get the related information from Output Window. You can send these information to my mailbox: v-yicche@microsoft.com.

For ASP.NET related mobile development, I would suggest you that can also try ASP.NET - Mobile and Handheld Devices forum. There're more experts related to mobile development. You will get more useful help there.

Hope this helps! Look forward to your reply.

Happy New Year!

Best regards,
    Yichun Chen

• Edited by YiChun Chen Thursday, December 31, 2009 8:28 AM typo
    Thursday, December 31, 2009 7:54 AM
  • Yichun,

Again, thank you for your continued help!

I downloaded the .NET framework setup verifcation tool and got the "Product Verification Succeeded" messge for 2.0 SP2, 3.0 SP2, and 3.5 SP1.

I have also emailed you the build result information from the output window (from diagnostic mode), I labeled the subject "General Setup Question regarding Ssytem.XML assembly".

The one error I do want to point out to you is this one:
    InternalXmlHelper.vb(25,0): error BC30009: Reference required to assembly 'System.Xml, Version=2.0.5.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=7cec85d7bea7798e' containing the implemented interface 'System.Xml.IXmlLineInfo'. Add one to your project.

I noticed that in my web.config file I have a different assembly reference to the System.Xml assembly:
    <add assembly="System.Xml, Version=2.0.0.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=B77A5C561934E089" />

I have tried to simply change the reference in the web.config file to:
    <add assembly="System.Xml, Version=2.0.5.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=7cec85d7bea7798e' " />

but I get the following error:
    ------ Build started: Project: C:\...\141Portal35\, Configuration: Debug Any CPU ------
    Warning: Unable to update auto-refresh reference 'chartfx.webforms.writer.svg.dll'. Cannot find assembly 'C:\Program Files\Chart FX for Visual Studio 2005\bin\ChartFX.WebForms.Writer.Svg.dll'.
    Warning: Unable to update auto-refresh reference 'chartfx.webforms.wrapper.dll'. Cannot find assembly 'C:\Program Files\Chart FX for Visual Studio 2005\bin\ChartFX.WebForms.Wrapper.dll'.
    Warning: Unable to update auto-refresh reference 'chartfx.webforms.data.dll'. Cannot find assembly 'C:\Program Files\Chart FX for Visual Studio 2005\bin\ChartFX.WebForms.Data.dll'.
    Warning: Unable to update auto-refresh reference 'chartfx.webforms.annotation.dll'. Cannot find assembly 'C:\Program Files\Chart FX for Visual Studio 2005\bin\ChartFX.WebForms.Annotation.dll'.
    Warning: Unable to update auto-refresh reference 'chartfx.webforms.writer.accessibility.dll'. Cannot find assembly 'C:\Program Files\Chart FX for Visual Studio 2005\bin\ChartFX.WebForms.Writer.Accessibility.dll'.
    Warning: Unable to update auto-refresh reference 'chartfx.webforms.dhtml.dll'. Cannot find assembly 'C:\Program Files\Chart FX for Visual Studio 2005\bin\ChartFX.WebForms.Dhtml.dll'.
    Warning: Unable to update auto-refresh reference 'reportviewer.dll'. Cannot find assembly 'X:\Code\dlls\reportviewer.dll'.
    Warning: Unable to update auto-refresh reference 'spindatautil2.0.dll'. Cannot find assembly 'X:\Code\dlls\SpinDataUtil2.0.dll'.
    Warning: Unable to update auto-refresh reference 'basicframe.webcontrols.basicdatepicker.dll'. Cannot find assembly 'X:\Code\dlls\BasicFrame.WebControls.BasicDatePicker.dll'.
    Warning: Unable to update auto-refresh reference 'chartfx.designer.dll'. Cannot find assembly 'C:\Program Files\Chart FX for Visual Studio 2005\bin\ChartFX.Designer.dll'.
    Warning: Unable to update auto-refresh reference 'chartfx.wizard.dll'. Cannot find assembly 'C:\Program Files\Chart FX for Visual Studio 2005\bin\ChartFX.Wizard.dll'.
    Warning: Unable to update auto-refresh reference 'chartfx.webforms.writer.flash.dll'. Cannot find assembly 'C:\Program Files\Chart FX for Visual Studio 2005\bin\ChartFX.WebForms.Writer.Flash.dll'.
    Warning: Unable to update auto-refresh reference 'chartfx.designer.statistical.dll'. Cannot find assembly 'C:\Program Files\Chart FX for Visual Studio 2005\bin\ChartFX.Designer.Statistical.dll'.
    Warning: Unable to update auto-refresh reference 'chartfx.webforms.maps.dll'. Cannot find assembly 'C:\Program Files\Chart FX for Visual Studio 2005\bin\ChartFX.WebForms.Maps.dll'.
    Warning: Unable to update auto-refresh reference 'chartfx.webforms.base.dll'. Cannot find assembly 'C:\Program Files\Chart FX for Visual Studio 2005\bin\ChartFX.WebForms.Base.dll'.
    Warning: Unable to update auto-refresh reference 'chartfx.designer.olap.dll'. Cannot find assembly 'C:\Program Files\Chart FX for Visual Studio 2005\bin\ChartFX.Designer.Olap.dll'.
    Warning: Unable to update auto-refresh reference 'chartfx.webforms.adornments.dll'. Cannot find assembly 'C:\Program Files\Chart FX for Visual Studio 2005\bin\ChartFX.WebForms.Adornments.dll'.
    Warning: Unable to update auto-refresh reference 'chartfx.designer.financial.dll'. Cannot find assembly 'C:\Program Files\Chart FX for Visual Studio 2005\bin\ChartFX.Designer.Financial.dll'.
    Warning: Unable to update auto-refresh reference 'smartnav.dll'. Cannot find assembly 'X:\Code\dlls\SmartNav.dll'.
    Warning: Unable to update auto-refresh reference 'chartfx.webforms.financial.dll'. Cannot find assembly 'C:\Program Files\Chart FX for Visual Studio 2005\bin\ChartFX.WebForms.Financial.dll'.
    Warning: Unable to update auto-refresh reference 'chartfx.webforms.dll'. Cannot find assembly 'C:\Program Files\Chart FX for Visual Studio 2005\bin\ChartFX.WebForms.dll'.
    Warning: Unable to update auto-refresh reference 'chartfx.webforms.wrapper.exporter.dll'. Cannot find assembly 'C:\Program Files\Chart FX for Visual Studio 2005\bin\ChartFX.WebForms.Wrapper.Exporter.dll'.
    Warning: Unable to update auto-refresh reference 'eworld.ui.dll'. Cannot find assembly 'X:\Code\dlls\eWorld.UI.dll'.
    Validating Web Site
    C:\inetpub\wwwroot\141Portal35\web.config(198): Build (web): Could not load file or assembly 'System.Xml, Version=2.0.5.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=7cec85d7bea7798e' or one of its dependencies. The system cannot find the file specified.

Validation Complete
    ========== Build: 0 succeeded, 1 failed, 3 up-to-date, 0 skipped ==========

Please let me know if there is anything else i can provide for you.

Oh and happy new yerar to you as well!

Thursday, December 31, 2009 2:44 PM
  • Hi Barak P,

Thank you for your reply and email.

I downloaded the .NET framework setup verifcation tool and got the "Product Verification Succeeded" messge for 2.0 SP2, 3.0 SP2, and 3.5 SP1.

Based on your description, we can isolate the cause of corrupted .NET Framework installation.

Finally some information about the solution:

The solution contains 4 projects
    -A website (this is the project that I am getting build errors on)
    -A silverlight application
    -2 class libraries

I would suspect whether there would be Silverlight related class and website related class in the same class library.
    Could you please tell me the relationship between these four projects?

I looked through the information from the Output Window. It seems that you "built" your project instead of "re-built" it. Could you please help me to "re-build" this project which you came across the error on Windows 7 (or press "Ctrl + Shift + B" to invoke rebuilding) and send me the information again?
    If it is convenient for you, please help me to "re-build" the same project that you don't have the error on on Vista SP2. Then we can compare the information between them to try tracking the cause.

Thank you for your help.

Best regards,
    Yichun Chen
    • Edited by YiChun Chen Monday, January 4, 2010 7:41 AM typo
    Monday, January 4, 2010 7:12 AM
  • Hi Barak P,

Have you tried my suggestion to re-build your project to collect the information?

If you have any concern, please feel free to let me know.

Best regards,
    Yichun Chen
    Wednesday, January 6, 2010 3:50 AM
  • YiChun,

Sorry for the late response I hav e been out of town.

I hae sent you the outpu of a rebuild from each machine to your email...

Thank you for your help.

-Barak

Wednesday, January 13, 2010 10:06 AM
  • Hi Barak P,

Thank you for your reply.

I've received your email. I will look into the log. If I can find any helpful information, I will let you know.

Thank you for your help!

Best regards,
    Yichun Chen
    Wednesday, January 13, 2010 10:12 AM
  • Hello,

I was able to fix a very similar issue with this same exact error by completely removing all references to the the System.Linq.Xml library in the web application.  I had noticed that the 2.0 and 3.5 versions existed in the project so I removed the 2.0 version.  After this I tried to rebuild it but it still would not build.  So I tried to remove the 3.5 version and it would not remove for some reason.  So I added the 2.0 version back in, then it allowed me to remove the 3.5 version, then I proceeded to remove 2.0 which worked.  After all references were gone, I rebuilt the site and it completed successfully.  After this the site was up and running again.  Very strange, anyways, hope this helps!

Friday, January 15, 2010 2:48 AM
  • Thank you for Stark_0101's kindly help.

Hi Barak P,

I've looked into the log files that you posted. I can find some different information related to Silverlight project.

From the logs of ReBuild Output WORKING 01132010.txt, I found:

SearchPaths:
            {CandidateAssemblyFiles}
            {HintPathFromItem}
            {TargetFrameworkDirectory}
            C:\Program Files\Microsoft SDKs\Expression\Blend 3\Interactivity\Libraries\Silverlight\
            C:\Program Files\Microsoft SDKs\Expression\Blend 3\Prototyping\Libraries\Silverlight\
            C:\Program Files\Microsoft SDKs\RIA Services\v1.0\Libraries\Silverlight\
            c:\Program Files\Microsoft SDKs\Silverlight\v3.0\Libraries\Client\
            C:\Program Files\Microsoft SDKs\Silverlight\v3.0\Toolkit\Jul09\Bin\
            C:\Program Files\Microsoft SDKs\Silverlight\v3.0\Toolkit\Jul09\Themes\

Adding PortalSL3.dll
        Adding ActivityControl.dll
        Adding AnimationChainer.dll
        Adding AnimationWheel.dll
        Adding System.ComponentModel.DataAnnotations.dll
        Adding System.Windows.Controls.Data.dll
        Adding System.Windows.Controls.Data.Input.dll
        Adding System.Windows.Controls.dll
        Adding System.Windows.Controls.Input.Toolkit.dll
        Adding System.Windows.Controls.Navigation.dll
        Adding System.Windows.Data.dll
        Adding System.Windows.Ria.dll
        Adding System.Xml.Linq.dll
        Adding System.Windows.Controls.Toolkit.dll
        Adding ServiceReferences.ClientConfig
        Adding AppManifest.xaml

From the logs of ReBuild Output NOT WORKING 01132010.txt, I found:

SearchPaths:
            {CandidateAssemblyFiles}
            {HintPathFromItem}
            {TargetFrameworkDirectory}
            C:\Program Files\Microsoft SDKs\Expression\Blend 3\Interactivity\Libraries\Silverlight\
            C:\Program Files\Microsoft SDKs\Expression\Blend 3\Prototyping\Libraries\Silverlight\
            C:\Program Files\Microsoft SDKs\RIA Services\v1.0\Libraries\Silverlight\
            c:\Program Files\Microsoft SDKs\Silverlight\v3.0\Libraries\Client\

Adding PortalSL3.dll
        Adding ActivityControl.dll
        Adding System.ComponentModel.DataAnnotations.dll
        Adding System.Windows.Controls.Data.dll
        Adding System.Windows.Controls.Data.Input.dll
        Adding System.Windows.Controls.dll
        Adding System.Windows.Data.dll
        Adding System.Windows.Ria.dll
        Adding System.Xml.Linq.dll
        Adding ServiceReferences.ClientConfig
        Adding AppManifest.xaml

It looks like that the environment of the two machines would be something different.

Could you please help me to check the following steps on Windows 7 machine?
    - Create a new application
    - Copy the web.config file from the project with error
    - Paste this web.config file to the new application that you created
    - Build this new application to check whether the new application can be built successfully

If it fails:
    If it doesn't disturb you a lot, could you please send me the project to me so that I can try to reproduce the scenario that you came across. You can omit the private information.

Best regards,
    Yichun Chen
    Friday, January 15, 2010 7:13 AM
  • Hi Barak P,

Have you tried the above steps on Windows 7 machine? It would be helpful to narrow down some possible cause.

If you have any concern, please feel free to let me know.

Best regards,
    Yichun Chen
    Monday, January 18, 2010 2:48 AM
  • YiChun & Stark_0101,

Thank you both for your replies.  Startk_0101 I think you are definitely on the right track it has something to do with the System.Xml and System.Xml.Linq references.  I have tried to remove both completely from the project but everytime I try to build the project I now get this error:

Error 24 Reference required to assembly 'System.Xml, Version=2.0.5.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=7cec85d7bea7798e' containing the implemented interface 'System.Xml.IXmlLineInfo'. Add one to your project. InternalXmlHelper.vb 

I also noticed that when the project tries to rebuild it adds the System.Xml.Ling.dll and System.Xml.Linq.xml files to the bin folder and references.  I am at a loss at this point for what to try to do next.

YiChun, I dont think this issue has much to do with the other silverlight project in this solution because when I unload that project I get the exact same errors.

Any ideas?

Thanks again.
    Monday, January 18, 2010 6:58 PM
  • Hi Barak P,

Could you please help me to check the following steps on Windows 7 machine?
    - Create a new application
    - Copy the web.config file from the project with error
    - Paste this web.config file to the new application that you created
    - Build this new application to check whether the new application can be built successfully

If it fails:
    If it doesn't disturb you a lot, could you please send me the project to me so that I can try to reproduce the scenario that you came across. You can omit the private information.

Have you tried these steps that I mentioned above? I would be helpful to eliminate some possible cause?

Best regards,
    Yichun Chen
    Tuesday, January 19, 2010 3:10 AM
  • Hi Barak P,

From the screenshots, I noticed that you added System.Web.Mobile as reference in your project. It seems that you're developing ASP.NET related mobile development, right?

For Windows 7, it includes the .NET Framework 3.5.1 as an OS component. This means you will get the .NET Framework 2.0 SP2, 3.0 SP2 and 3.5 SP1 plus a few post 3.5 SP1 bug fixes.

For your concern, one of the possible causes could be related to corrupted .NET Framework installation. Could you please help me to try .NET Framework Verification Tool to verify .NET Framework 3.5 SP1 on your Windows 7?
    Please check "Current status" to know the result of verification - success or failed.
    If they fail to be verified, we need to repair them. If you need to repair the .NET Framework 3.5.1 on Windows 7, you will need to use instructions lik the ones in this blog post. (Also applied for Windows 7)

If .Net Framework 2.0, 3.0 or 3.5 can be verified successfully on your computer, we can isolate the possible cause of corrupted .NET Framework.
    For further troubleshooting, we need to check project build output. Please go to Tools menu >> Options >> Projects and Solutions >> Build and Run >> MSBuild project build output verbosity >> Change to "Diagnostic" option. Then build your project and get the related information from Output Window. You can send these information to my mailbox: v-yicche@microsoft.com.

For ASP.NET related mobile development, I would suggest you that can also try ASP.NET - Mobile and Handheld Devices forum. There're more experts related to mobile development. You will get more useful help there.

Hope this helps! Look forward to your reply.

Happy New Year!

Best regards,
    Yichun Chen

Thanks! I'll try it and see if it can solve my problem.
    Wednesday, September 15, 2010 1:02 AM