Windows Live Messenger app crashed on first run - Also all the app are too heavy to install and load!

General discussion

• It crashed on first run after the install and reboot! On second attempt it worked though..

Request:
    Dear Windows Live division and those who matters, please make the WLE apps light weight probably using HTML5+JS+CSS and Windows RT or Silverlight based for Windows 8! Also, try to avoid the mandatory reboot overhead.. Please do this before integrating sweet Skype in great, graceful and heavy Windows Live family! :-(

- a citizen of Microsoft Developer Network.
    Sunday, October 2, 2011 6:16 AM

All replies

• As for moving WinRT, not going to happen until Windows 7 is no longer supported. Remember Windows XP is supported through 2014...

The following is signature, not part of post
    Please mark the post answered your question as the answer, and mark other helpful posts as helpful, so they will appear differently to other users who are visiting your thread for the same problem.
    Visual C++ MVP
    Sunday, October 2, 2011 4:13 PM
  • Thanks for your input. I guess if they release a separate -- fast and fluid -- build for win8 as an integral part of the OS or even as a downloadable bundle, that won't be a bad idea! Btw, how about the metro version for win8? Gimme the one running in WP7 ManJoe!

Alternatively, they can release a silverlight based build for all OSes and optimize the size of these giant app. By the time there is SL5 RTW, the performance would be more improved for those who will update SL on their PCs.

Monday, October 3, 2011 10:11 AM
  • I downloaded ALL of those Windows Live Essentials Programs and have had no problems!
    -Chase Croley
    Monday, October 3, 2011 4:48 PM
  • I downloaded ALL of those Windows Live Essentials Programs and have had no problems!
    -Chase Croley

Hmm, yup! no functionality problems. But the more optimization and swiftness in these essentials apps is something which would probably makes sense. Making use of Trident and SL runtimes -- having better integration with OS -- would make these MSFT family apps speedy.
    Wednesday, October 12, 2011 7:44 AM