none
Failed to install drivers for the Kinect RRS feed

• Question

• I just bought the Kinect for Windows and tried to follow the installation guide on the official website.

Because this is my first time to use the Kinect, I installed SDK v1.0 and then plugged the Kinect USB cable into my Win7 computer after connecting AC adaptor to a wall power outlet (I found that there was a green light on the cable when AC adaptor was connected).

At first, my computer detected a new device and tried to find device drivers automatically. But, after a few seconds, it showed an error box indicating that "there is unknown device, and cannot find drivers".

What I investigaed are as follows.

- When I look into the detailed information of the "unknown device" from the "device manager" window, I found that the new device has VID of "045E" and PID of "02C2".

- When I tried to install drivers manually through "add hardware wizard", the installed drivers didn't work, showing some error codes.

- When I made use of an "driver upgrade" function from the "unknown device" driver in the "device manager" window,  I succeeded in installing "Microsoft Kinect Device" driver, but still failed to install other drivers such as "Microsoft Kinect Camera", "Microsoft Kinect Audio Array Control", etc.

- While I have only one driver, "Microsoft Kinect Device", installed in my computer, I just tried to execute some applications such as "Kinect Explorer" or "Shape Game" from SDK samples. The "Kinect Explorer" showed the message of "USB\VID_045E&PID_02C2\....... Not Powered", and the "Shape Game" showed the message of "Plug My Power Cord In".

But, actually I plugged power adaptor and find out that the green led at the connector was on.

Should I request a repair now? If so, that's too bad because I just received it yesterday.

My computer has Windows 7 Professional 32-bit version (Korean), Intel Core2 Dual 2.5GHz, 4G RAM and  USB 2.0 ports(ICH8 chipsets).

Friday, February 24, 2012 6:22 PM

Answers

• I would try unplugging the Kinect, rebooting, and replugging the Kinect. If that doesn't work. Try uninstalling everything (there will be 4 entries in Control Panel) and then reinstalling without the Kinect attached.
    Friday, February 24, 2012 6:46 PM

All replies

• I would try unplugging the Kinect, rebooting, and replugging the Kinect. If that doesn't work. Try uninstalling everything (there will be 4 entries in Control Panel) and then reinstalling without the Kinect attached.
    Friday, February 24, 2012 6:46 PM
  • I was struggling with this problem over the last weekend. Anyway, even after trying to follow Todd's recommendation, I could not fix the problem.

So, finally I reinstalled Windows 7 in my laptop and found that drivers were installed correctly in a clean brand-new Win7 environment.

However, I still have a problem. When I executed sampler programs such as Kinect Explorer or Shape Game, most of executions failed without any message, while Kinect device drivers disappeared from Device Manager and there was a red light on Kinect Sensor. I'm wondering why this happens.

By the way, how many Kinect drivers should appear in Device Manager? What I have are as follows.

- Microsoft Kinect Camera, Microsoft Kinect Audio Array Control, Microsoft Kinect Security Control, Microsoft Kinect USB Audio

Tuesday, February 28, 2012 12:10 AM
  • What kind of USB controller chipset is on that system? Are you using USB2 or USB3 port?
    Tuesday, February 28, 2012 1:59 AM
  • Guyz i am sorry if it sounds too basic but can you tell me the driver location for kinect or does the kinect for windows sdk comes with the drivers for kinect?

Also please help me decide which sensor should i use ,i am yet to buy the device ,please help me decide which one is better -kinect xbox sensor or kinect for windows sensor?? I know the hardware is the same,but have heard that kinect xbox 360 sensor is inefficient as it has compatibility issues and depends laptop to laptop?

Kinect xbox sensor is easily available and cheaper than kinect for windows ... can you please help... i have win 7 ultimate 

thanx in advance

Wednesday, March 7, 2012 2:04 PM
  • the drivers are part of the SDK installation EXE. As for which sensor to buy, you'll have to decide based on what you are doing with it.
    Wednesday, March 7, 2012 9:11 PM
  • Todd i wanted to use kinect for outdoor purpose in dusty conditions only ,i need runtime feedback from it plus i may need to provide a encasing for it...

plz let me know what kind of casing would be suitable for the same...

thanx in advance

regards, Yashu kapoor

Thursday, March 8, 2012 6:04 AM
  • Todd i wanted to use kinect for outdoor purpose in dusty conditions only ,i need runtime feedback from it plus i may need to provide a encasing for it...

plz let me know what kind of casing would be suitable for the same...

thanx in advance

regards, Yashu kapoor

well the casing and dusty conditions is something I'm not sure I can help with. i.e. putting the sensor behind glass can interfere with the IR feed. But so can dust. You'll have to do some online research. There are plenty of people that are investigating like scenarios.
    Friday, March 9, 2012 6:21 AM
  • I am getting the same issue. I have tried everything I can think of to get this installing the device but no luck.

I have noticed that if I uninstall the Unknown device, leave the Kinect plugged in and restart my laptop, when it boots up it recognises the audio and video then fails and the only thing in the device manager is unknow device again.

Do you think it is a faulty device?

Asus G60JX
    8gig Ram
    250gb SSD
    Windows 7 x64 Ultimate

• Edited by byronbayer Thursday, March 15, 2012 10:20 PM
    Thursday, March 15, 2012 10:16 PM
  • I am getting the same issue. I have tried everything I can think of to get this installing the device but no luck.

I have noticed that if I uninstall the Unknown device, leave the Kinect plugged in and restart my laptop, when it boots up it recognises the audio and video then fails and the only thing in the device manager is unknow device again.

Do you think it is a faulty device?

Asus G60JX
    8gig Ram
    250gb SSD
    Windows 7 x64 Ultimate

Can you start a new thread about this, and make sure you have gone through the readme and other threads about install errors? Did you get any during installation? Did you have any other Kinect drivers installed prior? Have you rebooted? What is your USB host controller..... etc.
    Friday, March 16, 2012 4:20 AM
  • You may want to make sure the USB hub is running at full power

if you watch the device manager a hub that cannot support the power requirements may drop out

As a test - note I would not do this for regular use but test using a powered USB hub if you have one

Make sure the power injector is used and connected inline of the USB cable

if this does not resolve you may need to have the unit replaced

Chris Wojahn

Microsoft Surface Solutions & Support

Escalation Engineer, Critical Problem Resolution

Thursday, June 21, 2012 10:40 PM