none
[MS-ASCMD] Using Add and Update for Email items from the device client with Exchange ActiveSync RRS feed

• Question

• I do not see any restrictions with the email class as far as adding new items to folders on the server (Using Add with the Sync command) as well as updating all of the properties (using Update with the Sync command). We are trying to allow two-way synchronization of the Drafts folder as well as two-way synchronization of the Notes folder and both require the ability to create new email items from the device client as well as update them. Currently, we (successfully) are using Update with the email class to change the Read property but we are seeing that if we attempt to change the subject or body properties of an email, or if we try to create a new email altogether we receive a status 6 response for the individual adds or updates when using the Sync command. Status 6 indicates that the server is rejecting the items because they are malformed however we can not identify the problem. Are there limitations that will prevent us from creating new emails on the server or updating properties other than the Read property?
    Friday, March 27, 2009 4:28 PM

Answers

• Ambrose,

Currently, it is not possible to add e-mails from the client to the server, thus a two-way drafts synchronization is not feasible. Updating e-mails from the device is restricted to a small subset of e-mail schema to properties such as: categories, read flag, and flags.

Dominic Salemno

SENIOR SUPPORT ESCALATION ENGINEER

Friday, May 8, 2009 7:13 AM

All replies

• Hi Ambrose Krapacs,

I am the engineer who has taken ownership of your case. I am investigating your inquiry and will follow-up on this thread with my findings.

Dominic Salemno

Friday, March 27, 2009 7:20 PM
  • Ambrose,

Could you provide me a sample Sync that returns this particular Status via dochelp@microsoft.com ?

Dominic Salemno
    Senior Support Escalation Engineer
    Tuesday, March 31, 2009 6:31 PM
  • I will soon collect sample XML and WBXML associated with such a transaction and submit it as you have asked.
    Thursday, April 2, 2009 12:12 PM
  • I have submitted the information you have requested to the specified email address. I will be awaiting your response.
    Monday, April 6, 2009 4:11 PM
  • Ambrose,

I am still investigating this and will update you once I have more information.

Dominic Salemno
    Senior Support Escalation Engineer
    Thursday, April 16, 2009 2:30 PM
  • Thank you for the update.
    Tuesday, April 21, 2009 12:22 PM
  • Ambrose,

Currently, it is not possible to add e-mails from the client to the server, thus a two-way drafts synchronization is not feasible. Updating e-mails from the device is restricted to a small subset of e-mail schema to properties such as: categories, read flag, and flags.

Dominic Salemno

Friday, May 8, 2009 7:13 AM