none
ms oracleclient vs odp.net RRS feed

• Question

• I was running a simple service that accesses a database to add/remove partitions from data tables.  This has been working without issues using the System.Data.OracleClient dll.  I was modifying the code and changed it to use the Oracle.DataAccess dll.    I know the connection string attributes are different so I changed that appropriately but now I cannot retrieve the partition information from the tables.  I have looked at some sites about what the differences are between the 2 dll's but cannot find anything relevant to my situation

Here is the query I have run in the past and now does not work with ODP.NET

Select high_value, partition_name from (select * from user_table_partitions order by partition_name desc) where table_name = 'TBL1' and rownum<2 

Whenever I execute this query with ODP.NET I get an empty string even though there are partitions on this table.   If i use Data.OracleClient, it runs fine.  The only reason I changed the dll is because another part of the program will be accessing the actual data on the tables which is of type Binary Float, which can only be accessed using odp.net and i didnt want to keep track of which routines were using which dll seeing as they are so similar

any help would be appreciated ... this is driving me nuts!
    Wednesday, August 19, 2009 6:15 PM

All replies

• You might want to check with Oracle Metalink as well if you don't get an answer here. I'm not using ODP.NET at the moment so I can't test the statement.
    Paul ~~~~ Microsoft MVP (Visual Basic)
    Thursday, August 20, 2009 2:39 PM