Wrapper for MSI and simple compiler for MSP RRS feed

• Question

• Hello,

I'm searching for two things;

1. A wrapper of, I suppose, the Microsoft Windows Installer Object Library (msi.dll) to install a package from code and determine the end status.

2. A simple compiler to create MSPs. I already have the MSSDK installed with Orca.

I've been searching for some time now and couldn't find anything that does either of the in an eye blink.

So, if anyone has an idea of where to look, please let me know!

Regards, MusicDemon

• Moved by Mike Feng Wednesday, August 1, 2012 7:22 AM ClickOnce & Setup (From:Common Language Runtime)
    Tuesday, July 31, 2012 9:52 AM

Answers

All replies

• Hi Music,

Thank you for posting on this forum.

I have moved this thread to a dedicated forum for better support.

Best regards,

Mike Feng
    MSDN Community Support | Feedback to us
    Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help.

Wednesday, August 1, 2012 7:21 AM
  • You don't need a wrapper to install an MSI file. All you need do is call MsiInstallProduct () with the path to the MSI file and the command line:

MsiInstallProduct 

Creating patches requires:

a) A PCP file.

b) Admin images of old and new MSI files:

c) A call to to the patch creation APIs http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/windows/desktop/aa368618(v=vs.85).aspx

So it's not something a simple compiler can do.

Phil Wilson

• Proposed as answer by Bob Wu-MT Thursday, August 2, 2012 3:55 AM
    • Marked as answer by Bob Wu-MT Wednesday, August 8, 2012 5:42 AM
    Wednesday, August 1, 2012 9:11 PM
  • That seems nice... I'll test it in a bit and you'll notice any issues then. Thank you in advance.

Okay, it helps. But, now I got a problem. MSIMSP requires an "uncompressed image". How would I create that? I'm using VS10.

Regards, MusicDemon

• Edited by MusicDemon Thursday, August 2, 2012 12:36 PM
    • Marked as answer by MusicDemon Monday, August 6, 2012 1:23 PM
    • Unmarked as answer by MusicDemon Monday, August 6, 2012 1:23 PM
    Thursday, August 2, 2012 9:28 AM
  • Hi MusicDemon,

You can follow the article below to create a MSP file.

http://www.codeproject.com/Articles/11373/How-to-create-installation-patches-for-VS-NET-depl

If you encounter any issue, please let us know.

Best Regards,

Bob Wu [MSFT]

• Marked as answer by MusicDemon Monday, August 6, 2012 1:23 PM
    Monday, August 6, 2012 7:45 AM
  • Thank you, sir.

The link actually did help me.

Though, maybe you do not know but, why doesn't Microsoft just implement this feature into Visual Studio? It'd be far more interesting using MSPatch then...

Regards, MusicDemon

Monday, August 6, 2012 1:23 PM
  • Though, maybe you do not know but, why doesn't Microsoft just implement this feature into Visual Studio? It'd be far more interesting using MSPatch then...

No, I don't know why Visual Studio provide such feature. Actually, the setup project will no longer supported in the Visual Studio 2012. For more details, see http://blogs.msdn.com/b/zainnab/archive/2012/06/05/visual-studio-2012-compatibility-aka-project-round-tripping.aspx.

If you have any question about this, I think you should send your feedback to Microsoft Connect.

Best Regards,

Bob Wu [MSFT]

Wednesday, August 8, 2012 5:42 AM