none
Unhandled exception .NET framework V2 RRS feed

• Question

• I'm running windows XP (32 bit), I just installed BounceBackUltimate V9.2 and when I open the program I get error message which I have copied below my various futile attempts at trying to fix this.  I also contacted their tech support (CMS) who responded with: 

You may have some corruption in .NET Framework 2.0, have you tried running the redistrubutable of .NET and allow it to repair itself?

which sounded reasonable.

So, I went to the support website to download the redistributable file (dotnetfx.exe) and I got an error message saying I couldn't install an older version (naturally) over a newer version. 

At this point, I should say that I have .NET framework V1, V2 SP2, V3 SP2, V3.5 SP1 along with various associated files (CA, CLR CRT, WF, WCF, etc.) and hotfixes, updates, etc.

Moving on, both V2 & V3 allow you the option to "repair" the installation from "Add or Remove Program" (which I'm sure you all know, but I didn't) so I tried that.  When I tried I get an error message "The feature you are trying to use is on a network resource that is unavailable."  and it's looking for an installation package 'Netfx20a_x86.msi' which is available in 2.0 SP2 and which I downloaded but naturally it won't let me overwrite, I must uninstall and reinstall SP2.

My question here is, can I do that without messing everything else up because as you all know (again I didn't) Microsoft released 3 additional updates/KB's 958481,483 & 484 which were updates to V2, V3 & V3.5 (all of which are installed) and were installed after installation of SP2, so do they have to be uninstalled/reinstalled also? 

I hope I've included all the information you need.  If not just let me know. Any and all help is greatly appreciated.  Thanks in advance.

Charles 

BELOW (if it's of any use) is the full error message I receive when starting BounceBack.

Unhandled exception has occurred in your application.  If you click Continue, the application will ignore and attempt to continue.  If you click Quite, the application will close immediately. 

Specified cast is not valid.

DETAILS

See the end of this message for details on invoking

just-in-time (JIT) debugging instead of this dialog box.

************** Exception Text **************

System.InvalidCastException: Specified cast is not valid.

at BBControlCenter.Form1.Form1_Load(Object sender, EventArgs e)

at System.Windows.Forms.Form.OnLoad(EventArgs e)

at System.Windows.Forms.Form.OnCreateControl()

at BBControlCenter.Form1.OnCreateControl()

at System.Windows.Forms.Control.CreateControl(Boolean fIgnoreVisible)

at System.Windows.Forms.Control.CreateControl()

at System.Windows.Forms.Control.WmShowWindow(Message& m)

at System.Windows.Forms.Control.WndProc(Message& m)

at System.Windows.Forms.ScrollableControl.WndProc(Message& m)

at System.Windows.Forms.ContainerControl.WndProc(Message& m)

at System.Windows.Forms.Form.WmShowWindow(Message& m)

at System.Windows.Forms.Form.WndProc(Message& m)

at System.Windows.Forms.Control.ControlNativeWindow.OnMessage(Message& m)

at System.Windows.Forms.Control.ControlNativeWindow.WndProc(Message& m)

at System.Windows.Forms.NativeWindow.Callback(IntPtr hWnd, Int32 msg, IntPtr wparam, IntPtr lparam)

************** Loaded Assemblies **************

mscorlib

Assembly Version: 2.0.0.0

Win32 Version: 2.0.50727.3603 (GDR.050727-3600)

CodeBase: file:///C:/WINDOWS/Microsoft.NET/Framework/v2.0.50727/mscorlib.dll

----------------------------------------

BBControlCenter

Assembly Version: 1.0.3622.22937

Win32 Version: 9.1.0.40

CodeBase: file:///C:/Program%20Files/CMS%20Products/BounceBack%20Ultimate/BBControlCenter.exe

msvcm80

Assembly Version: 8.0.50727.4053

Win32 Version: 8.00.50727.4053

CodeBase: file:///C:/WINDOWS/WinSxS/x86_Microsoft.VC80.CRT_1fc8b3b9a1e18e3b_8.0.50727.4053_x-ww_e6967989/msvcm80.dll

System.Windows.Forms

Win32 Version: 2.0.50727.3053 (netfxsp.050727-3000)

CodeBase: file:///C:/WINDOWS/assembly/GAC_MSIL/System.Windows.Forms/2.0.0.0__b77a5c561934e089/System.Windows.Forms.dll

System

CodeBase: file:///C:/WINDOWS/assembly/GAC_MSIL/System/2.0.0.0__b77a5c561934e089/System.dll

System.Drawing

CodeBase: file:///C:/WINDOWS/assembly/GAC_MSIL/System.Drawing/2.0.0.0__b03f5f7f11d50a3a/System.Drawing.dll

CMSWizard

Assembly Version: 1.0.3622.22922

CodeBase: file:///C:/Program%20Files/CMS%20Products/BounceBack%20Ultimate/CMSWizard.DLL

CMSAppSupport

Assembly Version: 1.0.3622.22867

CodeBase: file:///C:/Program%20Files/CMS%20Products/BounceBack%20Ultimate/CMSAppSupport.DLL

CmsUtilities

Assembly Version: 9.1.0.40

CodeBase: file:///C:/Program%20Files/CMS%20Products/BounceBack%20Ultimate/CmsUtilities.DLL

BBShared

Assembly Version: 1.0.3622.22887

CodeBase: file:///C:/Program%20Files/CMS%20Products/BounceBack%20Ultimate/BBShared.DLL

Licensing

CodeBase: file:///C:/Program%20Files/CMS%20Products/BounceBack%20Ultimate/Licensing.DLL

DMO

Assembly Version: 1.0.3622.23192

Win32 Version: 1.0.3622.23192

CodeBase: file:///C:/Program%20Files/CMS%20Products/BounceBack%20Ultimate/DMO.DLL

BCDLib

CodeBase: file:///C:/Program%20Files/CMS%20Products/BounceBack%20Ultimate/BCDLib.DLL

System.Management

CodeBase: file:///C:/WINDOWS/assembly/GAC_MSIL/System.Management/2.0.0.0__b03f5f7f11d50a3a/System.Management.dll

BBExtractAccess

CodeBase: file:///C:/Program%20Files/CMS%20Products/BounceBack%20Ultimate/BBExtractAccess.DLL

CMSControls

Assembly Version: 1.0.3622.22869

CodeBase: file:///C:/Program%20Files/CMS%20Products/BounceBack%20Ultimate/CMSControls.DLL

BBPages

Assembly Version: 1.0.3622.22930

CodeBase: file:///C:/Program%20Files/CMS%20Products/BounceBack%20Ultimate/BBPages.DLL

************** JIT Debugging **************

To enable just-in-time (JIT) debugging, the .config file for this

application or computer (machine.config) must have the

jitDebugging value set in the system.windows.forms section.

The application must also be compiled with debugging

enabled.

For example:

<configuration>

<system.windows.forms jitDebugging="true" />

</configuration>

When JIT debugging is enabled, any unhandled exception

will be sent to the JIT debugger registered on the computer

rather than be handled by this dialog box.

I hope I've included all the information you need.  If not just let me know. Any and all help is greatly appreciated.  Thanks in advance.

Charles 

Saturday, February 6, 2010 8:22 PM

Answers

• Hi Charles,

Thank you for your post.

Some clarification with you:
    What's your OS?

My question here is, can I do that without messing everything else up because as you all know (again I didn't) Microsoft released 3 additional updates/KB's 958481,483 & 484 which were updates to V2, V3 & V3.5 (all of which are installed) and were installed after installation of SP2, so do they have to be uninstalled/reinstalled also? 

Charles 

Based on the error message, your issue is related to corrupted .NET Framework 2.0 installation.

For your concern, I would suggest you to use Cleanup tool to clear the failed installation of .NET Framework 3.5 >> 3.0 >> 2.0 in order since .NET Framework 2.0 and 3.0 are installed as prerequisite of .NET Framework 3.5.
    To remove .NET Framework 2.0, we need to remove .NET 3.5 >> .NET 3.0.

Then download .NET Framework 3.5 Service Pack 1 (Full Package) which will install .NET 2.0 and 3.0 together and install it.

Hope this helps! If you have any concern, please feel free to let me know.

Best regards,
    Yichun Chen
    Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help.
    Welcome to the All-In-One Code Framework! If you have any feedback, please tell us.
    • Marked as answer by YiChun Chen Friday, February 12, 2010 3:07 AM
    Monday, February 8, 2010 10:21 AM
  • Hi Charles,

Thank you for your reply.

However upon rebooting, Windows Update said I needed to download and install another .NET framework package (which I did).  It was labeled “List of changes and fixed issues in the .NET Framework 3.5 Service Pack 1” (KB951847).  To me it looks like another .NET Framework 3.5 Service Pack 1.

Anyway, after that install then there were 2 more .NET framework updates,

For KB951847, it's the hotfix of .NET Framework 3.5 with SP1. It installs changes and fixes some issue.
    For more information on this KB, please check: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/951847.

The end result is that I still have the error message.  HELP!

To narrow down the possible cause of .NET Framework installation, please try Verification Tool to verify .NET Framework 2.0 on your machine. If it can be verified successfully, we can isolate the cause of corrupted .NET Framework. I would suggest you to contact the tech support (CMS) of BounceBackUltimate V9.2 to get more useful help.

Best regards,
    Yichun Chen
    Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help.
    Welcome to the All-In-One Code Framework! If you have any feedback, please tell us.
    Tuesday, February 9, 2010 8:09 AM

All replies

• Hi Charles,

Thank you for your post.

Some clarification with you:
    What's your OS?

Charles 

Based on the error message, your issue is related to corrupted .NET Framework 2.0 installation.

For your concern, I would suggest you to use Cleanup tool to clear the failed installation of .NET Framework 3.5 >> 3.0 >> 2.0 in order since .NET Framework 2.0 and 3.0 are installed as prerequisite of .NET Framework 3.5.
    To remove .NET Framework 2.0, we need to remove .NET 3.5 >> .NET 3.0.

Then download .NET Framework 3.5 Service Pack 1 (Full Package) which will install .NET 2.0 and 3.0 together and install it.

Best regards,
    Yichun Chen
    Monday, February 8, 2010 10:21 AM
  • Hi Yichun,

Thank you for your reply in answering my question and in trying to help me.  It is greatly appreciated. 

My O/S is XP Home Edition SP3.

I followed your suggestion by using Cleanup tool to clear all the failed installations of .NET Framework from my system.  I then downloaded and installed .NET Framework 3.5 Service Pack 1 (Full Package) also as you suggested. 

However upon rebooting, Windows Update said I needed to download and install another .NET framework package (which I did).  It was labeled “List of changes and fixed issues in the .NET Framework 3.5 Service Pack 1” (KB951847).  To me it looks like another .NET Framework 3.5 Service Pack 1.

Update to .NET Framework 3.5 Service Pack 1 for the .NET Framework Assistant 1.0 x86 (KB963707) and Microsoft .NET Framework 2.0 Service Pack 2 Security Update for Windows 2000, Windows Server 2003, and Windows XP (KB974417).

Thanks,

Charles

Monday, February 8, 2010 6:47 PM
  • Hi Charles,

Thank you for your reply.

For KB951847, it's the hotfix of .NET Framework 3.5 with SP1. It installs changes and fixes some issue.
    For more information on this KB, please check: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/951847.

To narrow down the possible cause of .NET Framework installation, please try Verification Tool to verify .NET Framework 2.0 on your machine. If it can be verified successfully, we can isolate the cause of corrupted .NET Framework. I would suggest you to contact the tech support (CMS) of BounceBackUltimate V9.2 to get more useful help.

Best regards,
    Yichun Chen
    Tuesday, February 9, 2010 8:09 AM
  • Hi Yichun,

Thank you for sticking with me and my problems.  I appreciate your time and your reply.  I ran the verification tool (very useful to have) and everything checked out ok.  So, if I understand you correctly, what you are saying now is that since >NET framework checks out the problem must be with the software program (BounceBack) and not with a corrupted .NET framework installation.

If this is not the correct conclusion, please let me know.  I should point out that the program runs if when I get the error message I press continue, it's just that I'm not happy with the error message.  Since I back up automatically every night, I am greeted with this message every morning.

Once again, thank you for all your help in this matter. 

Charles
    Tuesday, February 9, 2010 2:51 PM
  • Hi Charles,

It's my pleasure! And thank you for your reply.

So, if I understand you correctly, what you are saying now is that since >NET framework checks out the problem must be with the software program (BounceBack) and not with a corrupted .NET framework installation.

Based on your description, it seems that .NET Frameworks have been installed successfully on the machine. Thus, we can isolate the cause of corrupted .NET Framework installation.
    To be honest, I'm not familiar with this software 'BounceBackUltimate'. Sorry for that. So I think that tech support (CMS) of BounceBackUltimate might provide you more useful help for your concern.

Hope this helps.

Have a nice day!

Best regards,
    Yichun Chen
    Wednesday, February 10, 2010 5:29 AM
  • Hi Yichun,

First, I must preface this reply by saying, I don't know what happened but I sent this reply yesterday and received an email message that you answered me, but when I came to this page, I saw neither this reply nor your answer.

Once again thank you for your patience and time in answering all my questions.  I really value your help with my problem.  I must apologize for wasting your time by phrasing my question incorrectly.  Of course I understand completely that you cannot possibly help me with my software (BounceBack) and that certainly is not what I wanted you to do.  No need for you to apologize for my error.

I'll try to rephrase my question correctly.

Since I'm getting the same exact error message as I did in the beginning (see my first post) and both you and the CMS tech felt that I had a corrupted .NET Framework 2.0 installation what is the possibility that the verification tool is wrong? 

I suppose what I'm asking is that when I go back to the CMS tech (the manufacturers of BounceBack) I want to be able to say to them (positively) that the problem isn't with me or .NET framework but with their software.

Or could it be something else altogether?

I hope I haven't wasted your time again and that this time I've asked the questions correctly. 

Just a quick explanation here so you understand what I'm trying to accomplished and why this is very important to me.  My laptop is a Dell Inspiron 9400 with Media Direct. When the MediaDirect button is pressed, the extra LBA-3 code instructs the disk controller to expose the HPA, it temporarily swaps the MD partition descriptor into slot #4 of the real partition table, sets that partition active, and proceeds to boot the now active partition. When the computer is powered off or rebooted, the HPA and partition table return to their normal states. As installed by Dell, MediaDirect is placed in a FAT32 partition at the end of the disk and the area is then closed off as a HPA.

Here is the important part: XP and most utilities are unaware the HPA exists, so using Symantec Ghost or Acronis True Image to backup my hard disk will fail to include the MD partition. If I replace my hard disk, cloning/copying utilities will fail to copy the HPA. However BounceBack, has a one click restore feature that will backup and restore my system including that HPA.

I sincerely hope this wasn't too long and taken up too much of your time.  I just want to be certain of how I should proceed from her and how insistent I should be with CMS.

I cannot thank you enough for sharing your knowledge with me and all your help.

Have a wonderful day,

Charles

Friday, February 12, 2010 5:46 PM