Creating an msi install package RRS feed

• Question

• User-1236212839 posted

I need to create an msi install package from Visual Studio 2010.  The first step in the instructions says to open your project, right click on your project name in the solutions window, click Add=>New Project.

When I do this "New Project" does not appear as a choice.  I have tried the solution I found to go through Tools, import and export settings. and reset settings but it works sporadically and "New Project" sometimes appears but always disappears.

What do I need to do?

Thanks

Thursday, February 21, 2013 2:09 PM

Answers

• User1291589676 posted

Goto file menu in that file menu you have submenu (Add) in that submenu you have new project. You can use this option to add new project to your solution.

• Marked as answer by Anonymous Thursday, October 7, 2021 12:00 AM
    Tuesday, February 26, 2013 11:02 PM

All replies

• User1196771204 posted

hi there,

please refer to http://social.msdn.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/msbuild/thread/fdd943f2-3ebb-48cc-8ab1-aaaea2bc2a76/ and  http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc766795.aspx

Please mark this response as an "answer" if it helps you. Thanks heaps!

Thursday, February 21, 2013 11:03 PM
  • User-1236212839 posted

I am following these instructions.  the problem is I do NOT SEE the NEW POJECT option when I right click on the solution name and then click ADD.

How do I get the selection for NEW PROJECT to appear.

Friday, February 22, 2013 5:41 AM
  • User-166373564 posted

Hi harrytu

the problem is I do NOT SEE the NEW POJECT option when I right click on the solution name and then click ADD.

It seems that you should create a visual studio 2010 setup project first, and then you could create an MSI Package using a Visual Studio setup project. Please check whether it is helpful to you.

With regards

Tuesday, February 26, 2013 8:57 PM
  • User220175380 posted

Hi,

Follow below steps to create MSi Installation package,

1. Open your published ASP.NET Web service project.
    2. In Solution Explorer, right-click the solution node, and then click New Project.
    3. In the Add New Project dialog box, in the Project Types area, expand Other Project Types, select Setup and Deployment Projects and in the Templates area, selectWeb Setup Project.
    4. In the Name text box, type a name for the Web Setup Project. You can use the same name as the ASP.NET Web Service project and add "_Setup" as a suffix and then click OK.
    5. In Solution Explorer, right-click the newly created Web setup project node, and point to View, and then click File System.
    6. In the File System window, right-click the Web Application Folder node and point to Add, then click Project Output.
    7. In the Add Project Output Group dialog box, select Primary Output and Content Files from the ASP.NET Web Service project and then click OK.
    8. In Solution Explorer, expand the Detected Dependencies node under the Web setup project.
    9. Select all dependencies.In the Properties window, set the Exclude property to True.
    10. Build your Web setup project.

Tuesday, February 26, 2013 10:47 PM
  • User1291589676 posted

Goto file menu in that file menu you have submenu (Add) in that submenu you have new project. You can use this option to add new project to your solution.

• Marked as answer by Anonymous Thursday, October 7, 2021 12:00 AM
    Tuesday, February 26, 2013 11:02 PM