VS 2012 Metro XAML Designer Loading Problem

Question

• Exception details:

System.OperationCanceledException
    The registration of the app package required by the designer took too long to complete and was canceled. Reload the designer to try again.
       at Microsoft.Expression.HostUtility.Platform.AppContainerProcessDomainFactory.CreateDesignerProcess(String applicationPath, String clientPort, Uri hostUri, IDictionary environmentVariables, Int32& processId, Object& processData)
       at Microsoft.Expression.DesignHost.Isolation.Primitives.ProcessDomainFactory.ProcessIsolationDomain..ctor(ProcessDomainFactory factory, IIsolationBoundary boundary, AppDomainSetup appDomainInfo, FrameworkName targetFramework, String identifier, String baseDirectory)
       at Microsoft.Expression.DesignHost.Isolation.Primitives.ProcessDomainFactory.CreateIsolationDomain(IIsolationBoundary boundary)
       at Microsoft.Expression.HostUtility.Platform.AppContainerProcessDomainFactory.CreateIsolationDomain(IIsolationBoundary boundary)
       at Microsoft.Expression.DesignHost.Isolation.Primitives.IsolationBoundary.Initialize()
       at Microsoft.Expression.DesignHost.Isolation.Primitives.IsolationBoundary.CreateInstance[T](Type type)
       at Microsoft.Expression.DesignHost.Isolation.IsolatedExportProvider.Initialize()
       at Microsoft.VisualStudio.ExpressionHost.Services.VSIsolationService.CreateExportProvider(IIsolationTarget isolationTarget, ICatalogFactory catalogFactory, IExportFilter filter)
       at Microsoft.Expression.DesignHost.Isolation.IsolationService.CreateLease(IIsolationTarget isolationTarget)
       at Microsoft.Expression.DesignHost.IsolatedDesignerService.CreateLease(IIsolationTarget isolationTarget, CancellationToken cancelToken, DesignerServiceEntry& entry)
       at Microsoft.Expression.DesignHost.IsolatedDesignerService.IsolatedDesignerView.CreateDesignerViewInfo(CancellationToken cancelToken)
       at Microsoft.Expression.DesignHost.Isolation.IsolatedTaskScheduler.InvokeWithCulture[T](CultureInfo culture, Func`2 func, CancellationToken cancelToken)
       at Microsoft.Expression.DesignHost.Isolation.IsolatedTaskScheduler.<>c__DisplayClassa`1.<StartTask>b__6()
       at System.Threading.Tasks.Task`1.InnerInvoke()
       at System.Threading.Tasks.Task.Execute()

Tuesday, September 25, 2012 6:29 AM

All replies

• Hi,

Is this a consistent issue? Did you try restarting VS and creating a new XAML project? Also, can you try running (F5) of your application and see if that works.

The problem here is that the registration of the application package is taking long time and hence designer fails after a threshold value. If you can get in touch with me navits at microsoft dot com, I can help investigate this issue.

-Navit Saxena

Wednesday, September 26, 2012 1:09 AM
  • I just started having this problem. It was causing this error in the VS 2012 XAML Designer, *AND* I was unable to actually run the project, as it would hang on one of the deployment steps.

The deployment eventually timed out, and it told me there was a problem contacting the WSService. I opened up the Services list and the "Windows Store Service (WSService)" was indeed stuck on "STOPPING". Going through the steps from the following link, I was able to find the process ID of the WSService and kill it. Afterwards, both the XAML designer and running the project worked fine. I have no idea why the store service got stuck on "STOPPING"

http://bartdesmet.net/blogs/bart/archive/2004/10/16/438.aspx

• Proposed as answer by Marais van Zyl Saturday, February 14, 2015 10:43 AM
    Tuesday, April 09, 2013 10:30 PM
  • I tried to close as many running applications as I could and killed the relevant processes.  I also restarted VS many times.  Nothing worked until the computer was rebooted.

Hong

Friday, December 06, 2013 5:43 PM