none
Why online installer packages are bullshit (Like vs2015 installer)?

Question

• Because there is no value added IT and no manageability and/or USER XP.
    What we need is a simple FTP server and a download manager because:
    1- you can schedule downloads (On High traffic or slow links or ...)
    2- you can pause download or change a downloads' priorities (maybe something more important has come up)
    3- you can save files where ever you want (not just installer cache, maybe different products have same prerequisites)
    4- you can see actual download progress and the total size of files in bytes (and an estimation of how long it takes)
    and ...

Alternative solution that is complementary to "ftp server and download manager" combination is like this (If you will):

1- Windows power shell download scripts that add downloads to a standard download manager
    2- What is a standard download manager? it is a download manager that is scriptable through COM, .Net, CMD (Command Line), or other technology
    that can be used by windows power shell
    SO WE NEED STANDARDS HERE TO ENCOURAGE "Download Manager Developer Companies" follow it TO IMPROVE USER EXPERIENCE OF INSTALLERS NOT JUST DUMB Downloader Packages

So please stop giving away online installer packages any more. If you want to compete with linux and android beer in mind that
    ANDROID INSTALLER Packages ARE DUMB TOO and
    linux apt-get install scripts or yum scripts have many flexibillties that these online installer packages do not.

Correct Approach is what people have done. One example is power shell script for Sharepoint server 2013 to download and install prerequisites
    (these scripts had their own annoyances but the approach in general is correct; I personally copied files from scripts to download manager :-))  )

Any way I hope Microsoft stop creating online installer packages and do more in cooperating to create a standard interface in download managing business (Something like Microsoft Download Management Interface API or whatever names they like) !!!!

PS: I know, I know, some 3rd parties can only be downloaded but many tools are provided by MS Co. and I Expect them in the ISO not to download them.

AND My Question is can I Expect to get a better Install Experience any time soon?

Sunday, December 27, 2015 6:16 PM

Answers

• Hi Leon_Amirreza,

Thanks for your response. After posting your idea on user voice, please share the link here and then mark your reply as answer. It is benefit to other communities who has the same idea, they can add comments under your idea.

Best Regards,
    Weiwei

• Marked as answer by Leon_Amirreza Tuesday, December 29, 2015 7:56 PM
    Tuesday, December 29, 2015 1:25 AM

All replies

• You see alot of updater services on your sotrage that simply waste storage and bootup time like:
    Chrome updater service
    Mozilla Updater Service
    windows update service
    this updater service
    that update service

why not to have a standard Download manager to delegate the download to it now user have the choice when to download and when to actually invoke update
    (many update services choose bad times to waste bandwidth, like working hours, high traffic or even bad place maybe i do not have net connetion, using a download manager i can transfer links to another machine to actually download files then bring files to my machine using internal network or flahs memory or ...)

Its been years of wrong architecture of update services don't you think it's time to reengineer updating as a whole?
    Sunday, December 27, 2015 9:28 PM
  • Hi Leon_Amirreza,

Thanks for your suggestion about download installer and update service.

This forum is discuss Visual Studio WPF/SL Designer, Visual Studio Guidance Automation Toolkit, Developer Documentation and Help System, and Visual Studio Editor.

According to your description, your suggestion is mainly for all download installer from Microsoft. I suggest you post your suggestion to Microsoft User Voice site.

http://microsoft.uservoice.com/

If you just suggest to Visual Studio installer, please post your suggestions to Visual Studio User Voice site.

http://visualstudio.uservoice.com/forums/121579-visual-studio-2015

Best Regards,
    Weiwei

Monday, December 28, 2015 5:57 AM
  • thank you for your suggestions

I sure do.

Monday, December 28, 2015 7:12 PM
  • Hi Leon_Amirreza,

Thanks for your response. After posting your idea on user voice, please share the link here and then mark your reply as answer. It is benefit to other communities who has the same idea, they can add comments under your idea.

Best Regards,
    Weiwei

• Marked as answer by Leon_Amirreza Tuesday, December 29, 2015 7:56 PM
    Tuesday, December 29, 2015 1:25 AM
  • Here is the link to my suggestion

thank you for your attention and care.

http://visualstudio.uservoice.com/forums/121579-visual-studio-2015/suggestions/11221413-create-download-scripts-instead-of-online-installe

https://forums.iis.net/t/1229556.aspx?Why+online+installer+packages+are+bullshit+Like+visual+studio+2015+installer+

• Edited by Leon_Amirreza Tuesday, December 29, 2015 8:14 PM wrong link
    Tuesday, December 29, 2015 7:54 PM