none
Powerpoint won't open certain file names under certain circumstances RRS feed

• Question

• I have a powerpoints by the name of  "CT_Stress_Test_1 - Copy (X) - Copy.pptx"  where X is a number from 2  to 40.

I'm using Interop to programmatically save the powerpoints as folders of images.

For some reason, it'll fail to open numbers 11,16, and 38, and throw a nondescript error -  "HRESULT E_FAIL"

If I were to rename these powerpoints to something else, then my program can open the files without issue, so it isn't a matter of the powerpoint itself being corrupt. It's the file name.

I can run the same program on my Win 7 computer, and it'll convert those files just fine.

When I run the program on Windows Server 2008,  then I have problems with these three (so far) file names.

Why does this happen. Does powerpoint have a list of reserved file names or something?

Thursday, November 7, 2013 5:49 PM

Answers

• Hi,

Welcome to MSDN forum.

Could you give us more information?

1. Error-“ HRESULT E_FAIL” is a common error, what is the detailed error message?
    2. Which version of Office are you using on Windows Server 2008? Is there the same version running on Windows 7? Which version of interop dll are you using in your project?
    3. Would you mind if you share code Snippet for us to reproduce this issue?

Based on your description at present, I suggest you to check:

1. When running program on Windows Server 2008, please open task manager to check whether there are some PowerPoint processes have not been closed. If yes, please close these processes then try to run program again.
    2. Check these three file names on Windows Server 2008 to find whether they are little difference with other file names.

We are trying to better understand customer views on social support experience, so your participation in this interview project would be greatly appreciated if you have time. Thanks for helping make community forums a great place.
    Click HERE to participate the survey.

Sunday, November 10, 2013 2:09 PM