Visual Studio Install (Not on C:) RRS feed

• Question

• Do you know of any way to install Visual Studio 2010 in a way that it ONLY installs to a non-C drive? Even if I tell it...to install to another drive it ends up taking *more* space on C than where I tell it to install. Im on an SSD, space matters
    Tuesday, May 3, 2011 9:50 PM

Answers

• Hi Social Media – BrianK,

Welcome to the MSDN forum.

As you described, you intend to install Visual Studio on non-C drive(You mean that all the install file would located on non-C drive).Actually, it is impossible to prevent installation from using C drive space, because during the installation, not only will the setup program install Visual Studio IDE files, but also it will create and update some system files which are located on C drive. Therefore, the installation must ensure the minimum requirement of C drive before you begin to install it.

If I have any misunderstood anything, please feel free to let me know.

Best Regards,

• Marked as answer by Andrew.Wu Thursday, May 12, 2011 8:30 AM
    Wednesday, May 4, 2011 8:58 AM

All replies

• I install VS 2010 on D, but it still install some data on C
    Wednesday, May 4, 2011 5:39 AM

As you described, you intend to install Visual Studio on non-C drive(You mean that all the install file would located on non-C drive).Actually, it is impossible to prevent installation from using C drive space, because during the installation, not only will the setup program install Visual Studio IDE files, but also it will create and update some system files which are located on C drive. Therefore, the installation must ensure the minimum requirement of C drive before you begin to install it.

Best Regards,

• Marked as answer by Andrew.Wu Thursday, May 12, 2011 8:30 AM
    Wednesday, May 4, 2011 8:58 AM

Best Regards,

Is there any way to work around this? Thanks.
    Wednesday, May 4, 2011 2:51 PM