Backup Exec Storage RRS feed

• Question

• Hello - I have upgraded to BE 20.4 where backing up to Azure storage is an option. I currently backup to disk than duplicate to tape. What I would like to do is point the duplicates to Azure storage and eliminate tape storage all together. I very seldom have to recover from tape so these duplicate backup sets would almost never be accessed. I will also need storage to handle long term archive storage.

What would be my best storage plan(s) in this scenario. Also, I have a Azure.portal logon. When I look at adding storage I am prompted to create an account. Is the storage account separate from the existing logon?

Thank you

Monday, June 17, 2019 5:05 PM

Answers

• Azure storage offers different types of storage accounts and each type has different features as well as pricing will vary depends on storage account type you have chosen. You may refer the article here to help you understand the types and features of azure storage account.

Note:- In most scenarios “General-purpose v2” type accounts are recommended for using Azure Storage.

The hot access tier has higher storage costs than cool and archive tiers, but the lowest access costs. The cool access tier has lower storage costs and higher access costs compared to hot storage. This tier is intended for data that will remain in the cool tier for at least 30 days. The archive access tier has the lowest storage cost and higher data retrieval costs compared to hot and cool tiers. This tier is intended for data that can tolerate several hours of retrieval latency and will remain in the archive tier for at least 180 days. Here is a good article with examples on different tiers.

You can look at the documentation for Azure Archive Storage here to know more information on pricing details and features and for creating the storage account as per your requirement, you can follow the steps mentioned in the document here.

I would highly recommend you watch the video on how to configure Backup Exec to use Microsoft Azure cloud storage demo given by Third-party Veritas Backup Exec engineering team. See if that helps you.

For any queries related to Veritas Backup Exec, I recommend you to post your query on veritas community forum to get better help from right experts.

Kindly let us know if you need any further assistance on this.

• Edited by YASWANTH MADI Tuesday, June 18, 2019 5:45 AM
    • Proposed as answer by YASWANTH MADI Tuesday, June 18, 2019 5:45 AM
    • Marked as answer by bogey99 Thursday, June 20, 2019 4:38 PM
    Tuesday, June 18, 2019 5:45 AM

All replies

• Azure storage offers different types of storage accounts and each type has different features as well as pricing will vary depends on storage account type you have chosen. You may refer the article here to help you understand the types and features of azure storage account.

Note:- In most scenarios “General-purpose v2” type accounts are recommended for using Azure Storage.

The hot access tier has higher storage costs than cool and archive tiers, but the lowest access costs. The cool access tier has lower storage costs and higher access costs compared to hot storage. This tier is intended for data that will remain in the cool tier for at least 30 days. The archive access tier has the lowest storage cost and higher data retrieval costs compared to hot and cool tiers. This tier is intended for data that can tolerate several hours of retrieval latency and will remain in the archive tier for at least 180 days. Here is a good article with examples on different tiers.

You can look at the documentation for Azure Archive Storage here to know more information on pricing details and features and for creating the storage account as per your requirement, you can follow the steps mentioned in the document here.

I would highly recommend you watch the video on how to configure Backup Exec to use Microsoft Azure cloud storage demo given by Third-party Veritas Backup Exec engineering team. See if that helps you.

For any queries related to Veritas Backup Exec, I recommend you to post your query on veritas community forum to get better help from right experts.

Kindly let us know if you need any further assistance on this.

• Edited by YASWANTH MADI Tuesday, June 18, 2019 5:45 AM
    • Proposed as answer by YASWANTH MADI Tuesday, June 18, 2019 5:45 AM
    • Marked as answer by bogey99 Thursday, June 20, 2019 4:38 PM
    Tuesday, June 18, 2019 5:45 AM
  • Just checking in to see if the above answer helped. If this answers your query, do click “Mark as Answer” and Up-Vote for the same, which might be beneficial to other community members reading this thread. And, if you have any further query do let us know.

Thursday, June 20, 2019 5:17 AM