none
Storage Account Types

Question

• I'm trying to clear up some confusion on my part about the relation between storage types and storage accounts in Azure. In azure, we have the following storage types:

• Blob
    • File
    • Disk
    • Table
    • Queue

Using Resource Manager, we have the following storage account types:

• General purpose
    • Blob storage

Currently, I have a general purpose storage account with a mix of storage types.

• VHD's for my instances which are the disk storage type stored as page blobs in the storage account (which run for $0.05 per GB for LRS).
    • Tables for performance metrics (which run for $0.07 per GB for LRS)
    • Blobs. Here's where my confusion is coming in.

The majority of the blob usage is coming in from a backup about about 1.5ish TB. The resource cost estimated spend for that calculates out to about $0.009 per GB. It's an estimate so it stands to reason it would be a bit off and most likely I'm getting the pricing for cool block blob storage on LRS.

My questions are:

On a general purpose storage account, what determines whether the block blob is hot or cold tier?

If block blobs on a general purpose storage account can be either hot or cold tier, what's the purpose for the Blob storage account? Explicitly defining the storage tier?

Thanks in advance for any info you all can give.

Wednesday, July 13, 2016 5:45 PM

All replies

• Hi -

Only the Blob storage account has two tiers (hot and cool). So if you want to use cool storage, you need to create a Blob storage account and migrate your data there.

The general purpose storage account provides only "hot" storage for all four services - Blob, Queue, Table, and File. The general purpose storage account is the same as the standard storage account that we've had all along.

Thursday, July 14, 2016 6:27 AM