Blend 5.0 RC: Heavy performance issue RRS feed

• Question

• Hello,

I'm using Blend 5.0 RC in order to style XAML pages for Silverlight 5.

Once Blend is opened with the project, Blend is too slow for working. You have to wait 20sec or more even to get a response what you do (scrolling, changing the preview size, collapse items within the tab projects / assets etc..

If I check the Task manager, Blend consums approx. 40-50 % of CPU and requires 1 GB memory.

My MacBook Pro provides 8 GB RAM, i5 CPU. Blend is opened while VS2012 is running. Even if I close VS2012, the performance is not really better. Besides VS2012, everything is closed (IE, Outlook etc.).

Any idea? With the preview release of Blend, I didn't have this issue.

Yours

Stephan

Developing with ADO.NET & Infragistics

Sunday, June 9, 2013 8:26 PM

Answers

• Should not be necessary.
    • Marked as answer by Stephan_MZ Tuesday, June 11, 2013 9:11 PM
    Tuesday, June 11, 2013 9:05 PM

All replies

• Do you have the same issues with the supported RTM release? Blend for VS 2012 that comes with VS 2012 update 2?
    Monday, June 10, 2013 1:34 AM
  • I have the following BLEND version:

I have installed the update 2 of VS2010. So it is the RTM version you mentioned.

Developing with ADO.NET & Infragistics

Monday, June 10, 2013 10:44 PM
  • Are you launching Blend for VS 2012 or the RC/preview version? I just want to eliminate any old versions if possible, because there were a couple of preview releases in there to support SL 5 before update 2 was released.

Would you be able to share your project with me so I can try it out on our end and see if I can find any potential problems? If so, please run the clean command and then zip the solution, and email it to me at first.last@microsoft.com (using my name).

Tuesday, June 11, 2013 1:28 AM
  • I have uninstalled the Blend preview version and relaunched the computer to be sure of not having left from preview. I'll hope the uninstall is working properly.

Now, if I launch Blend, there is a high CPU usage caused by Blend. Then, the CPU usage is going down to a level between 2 - 10 %, so absolutely acceptable. I also had bought Expression 4 one year ago and installed on the same computer.

Is it necessary to uninstall BLEND 4 as well in order to avoid any interference / wrong usage of common shared DLLs by Blend?

• Edited by Stephan_MZ Tuesday, June 11, 2013 8:41 PM Korrektur
    Tuesday, June 11, 2013 8:34 PM
  • Should not be necessary.
    • Marked as answer by Stephan_MZ Tuesday, June 11, 2013 9:11 PM
    Tuesday, June 11, 2013 9:05 PM