SSI and Expression 4 RRS feed

• Question

• Will there every be a design view that shows the SSI on a page? I had hoped to make a transition from Dreamweaver (no support for asp any longer and moving to .net) I like to be able to see my SSI in design view.

Jim

Monday, October 4, 2010 6:58 PM

All replies

• Sorry, but we're not Karnac the Magnificent, nor do we work for Microsoft. This is a user forum, and we have no more clue about, nor control over, Microsoft's development plans than any other user, or civilian on the street.

At present, no dynamic technologies are expressed in design view. Check out SlapShot in the gallery (link above), which purports to provide a live dynamic view in SnapShot. (I haven't tested, so can't say for sure...)

cheers,
    scott

Please remember to "Mark as Answer" the responses that resolved your issue. It is common courtesy to recognize those who have helped you, and it also makes it easier for visitors to find the resolution later.
    Monday, October 4, 2010 7:55 PM
  • Slight correction PHP includes using include, include_once, require or require_once will render in design view but only the parts that do not require processing on the server so pure html includes would render just fine in design view.

MS MVP Expression Tutorials & Help http://by-expression.com & Expression Web forums
    Monday, October 4, 2010 8:20 PM
  • SSI = Server Side Includes - they only show when the page is on the web server, viewed through a browser.  The includes do not show in real-time like Frontpage's include pages (assuming at one time you used Frontpage (?)), but EW has (or had) backward compatiblity for the include page feature, maybe you can use that.

However the common thing these days is to use Dynamic Web Templates or Master Pages (for .Net sites) and DWT's or MP's are essentially accomplishing the same thing as SSI, and you can see the 'includes' in design-time.

The only other thing I would suggest is that you install a web server software such as IIS or one of the Apache packages (WAMP for Windows, XAMP (for Macintosh(?)), LAMP (for Linux(?)) on your PC and activate the SSI feature. 

That would at least allow you to preview your pages in a browser on your "Localhost" without publishing to the internet for the purpose of testing etc.  The Development Server built in to EW probably doesn't support SSI.

Andrew M

http://www.murraywebs.com

"Nothing spoils numbers faster than arithmetic!"
    -- Peppermint Patty (Peanuts, Charles M. Schulz)
    Monday, October 4, 2010 11:06 PM
  • Using a design time include does not accomplish everything you can do with a server side include. With a server side include you publish only the included page not every page that uses the included file. That can be a significant savings in time & bandwidth.

For PHP includes you can use the testing server as long a you have PHP included. If your page is an asp.net file you can also use the html include syntax and it will appear when you preview in browser using the testing server (at least that is my memory when I last tested which was some time ago.)

MS MVP Expression Tutorials & Help http://by-expression.com & Expression Web forums
    Tuesday, October 5, 2010 12:50 AM