How to Update On-Screen Text So It Is Timed to a Storyboard RRS feed

• Question

• I have a 3 minute storyboard and I want to automatically update some on-sceen text as the animation plays. I can do this manually using several text boxes, but I'm wondering if there is a way to just use one text box and to call a function as the storyboard plays so that, e.g., at 3 seconds, it would display different text, and and 40 seconds, different text, and so on. Any help would be greatly appreciated!
    Bill
    Wednesday, October 13, 2010 9:28 PM

All replies

• I don't know of any way to exactly sync it with points in the storyboard, but you could simulate it with timers in code. I suspect multiple text boxes in the storyboard would be easier to maintain however. Using timers would require having 2 places for the information, and they could get out of sync.
    Thursday, October 14, 2010 1:17 PM
  • Thank you. In Flash, you can place code anywhere on the timeline, which makes it pretty easy. I sure wish that Silverlight had something similar. Thanks again for the response.
    Bill
    Thursday, October 14, 2010 2:22 PM
  • I have written a helper class to "add" events to a storyboard. It is for Silverlight and in VB.NET. If you use C# it won't work, because C# doesn't know WithEvent. I had no time to write the class in C#.

However. Here are the links to the german article and the english article. Source code an sample are provided. Maybe this helps.

Friday, October 15, 2010 8:02 AM
  • I would add that if you use the properties panel to edit your textblock's text property while record mode is on, blend will create an object animation and animation keys for changes to the text.

This way you could change your text in the same storyboard as your animation and line up your keyframes to the text changes using the timeline.

Friday, October 15, 2010 10:42 PM