none
How to Disable "Next" button in RIBBON??? RRS feed

• Question

• Hii everyone,

I have a created a EPT(Test_EPT) and associated certain PDP'S with it,In one of the PDP there is a Custom field(Sample) which takes values from a look up table,values inside that Custom field are Yes and No,NOW WHAT I NEED IS THAT WHEN THE USER SELECTS YES VALUE IN THAT CUSTOM FIELD ONLY THEN HE SHOULD BE ABLE TO MOVE TO NEXT PDP,IF HE SELECTS NO,HE SHOULD NOT MOVE TO NEXT PDP!!!IS IT POSSIBLE TO DISABLE Next BUTTON IN THE RIBBON,AS I HAVE SHOWN IN SCREEN SHOT BELOW,IF ANYONE HAS ANY IDEA PLZ LEMME KNOW,ANY HELP WILL BE GREATLY APPRECIATED

• Edited by anuj astro Friday, February 24, 2012 8:46 AM
    Friday, February 24, 2012 8:45 AM

All replies

• Hi Anuj,

Even you somehow able to disable the next button on the ribbon, the user can go to your next page that is Proposal Summary from quick launch. What is your actual need behind this? What about workflows?

Thanks, Kashif

Friday, February 24, 2012 10:04 AM
  • Hiii kashif,

thanx for response,well my exact condition is that there is a custom field which asks the user "have you uploaded the buisness proposal document" and the user has to select either Yes or No,if the user selects Yes and also he has uploaded the document,only then he should be able to move to Next stage,if the user does not upload a Document an error message should be thrown,and he should not be allowed to move to next stage

Friday, February 24, 2012 11:05 AM
  • HI,

this can be pretty much achievable through the workflow only, use a workflow to control to stay on the same stage unless the user upload the document and set the flag and only then move to the next stage. disable the Next button wont serve the purpose here unless you develop and  associate the workflow with your EPT. for quick workflow referece, you can go through the following options:

solution starter linear workflow, source code is also available and you can modify it as per your need:

http://archive.msdn.microsoft.com/P2010SolutionStarter

sample proposal workflow ships with the product, you can find the source here to modify:

http://khurramjamshed.blogspot.com/2011/03/project-server-2010-latest-sdk.html

hope it helps.

Khurram Jamshed - MBA, PMP, MCTS, MCITP ( Blog, Twitter, Linkedin )

Friday, February 24, 2012 1:28 PM
  • Hi,

As Nashif mentions, the Next / Previous does not move the project through the stages, instead it just moves you between the PDP's for that stage, or which there can be many.

Kharram is spot on, if you want to put business logic in place to stop the stage being changed unless a document is uploaded, then the workflow needs logic in it to do it.

Alex Burton
    www.epmsource.com | Twitter
    Project Server TechCenter | Project Developer Center | Project Server Help | Project Product Page

Monday, February 27, 2012 11:05 AM
  • Just to add on to this, if you were to use a workflow, you would have to arrange the visibility of PDPs properly.  For example, if you have PDP 1 and PDP 2, and you don't want the users to see PDP 2 before you do all your checks, that make only PDP 1 visible at the first stage and, subsequently, PDP 2 - on the next stage. 

The only drawback is that when you verify that file was uploaded and move to the next stage, it won't take you directly to the PDP, i.e. a user would have to click a link in order to open it for editing as you will initially land on the Workflow Status Page.

Ilya

Monday, February 27, 2012 9:46 PM