none
Upgrade to SQL2K14 on a W2K12 Cluster

Question

• I noticed a change in the dialogs used to upgrade a cluster to SQL2K14 SP2.

You can see in the first picture, that I could only ever upgrade one instance of SQL2K8 at a time.  Now, it seems I can upgrade as many as I have.  Does this mean the limitation of one instance at a time has been lifted?  Or, should I still observe this?

When I saw the new dialog, I said, " this is great!  With 6 instances on 3 nodes, I can reduce the number of reboots from a theoretical max of eighteen down to three!"

My plan, tentatively, is to push all instances onto one node, start the service pack install on each node, check the boxes representing the installations on the passive nodes and let them upgrade, simultaneously.  That is, let each node that runs no instance completely upgrade all the instances, and when that is done, reboot each, and push all the instances to an upgraded node, upgrade that last node, and then reboot IT.  And then I'm done.

Does this break any unwritten rules?  It gets the total time down to about 4-5 hours for the entire upgrade

Thanks in advance.

Tuesday, February 28, 2017 4:30 PM

Answers

• OK, Here's the scoop.

The application of multiple updates, simultaneously, to more than one node in a multi-node MSCS cluster is safe.

I ran the SP2 update on a lightly used instance of a three node cluster and it worked without a problem.

Then, I ran two more, solo, of the main instances.   No issues.

Then, I ran an update for the last three instances at the same time.

If they ever come out with an SP3 for SQL2K14, that is how I will install it. 

But they won't, so the knowledge I gained will have to benefit other users.

Ciao.

Monday, March 20, 2017 2:47 PM

All replies

• Hello,

I agree with you that this feature of upgrading multiple instances saves a lot of time, but if something goes wrong you will have more to deal with.

SQL Server setup allows it. It is your decision. My suggestion is to do it one by one because of the risks involved if something goes wrong during the upgrade.

Do not forget to run upgrade advisor and validate again your failover cluster.

Hope this helps.

Regards,

Alberto Morillo
    SQLCoffee.com

Tuesday, February 28, 2017 7:04 PM
  • I noticed a change in the dialogs used to upgrade a cluster to SQL2K14 SP2.

You can see in the first picture, that I could only ever upgrade one instance of SQL2K8 at a time.  Now, it seems I can upgrade as many as I have.  Does this mean the limitation of one instance at a time has been lifted?  Or, should I still observe this?

Hi West,

When upgrading SQL Server to higher version, for example, upgrade SQL Server 2008 or SQL Server 2012 to SQL Server 2014, we are only able to upgrade one instance at a time via installation GUI.

However, when installing SQL Server Service pack, we are able to update multiple instances at a time, which is shown in your second screenshot. And you can also apply Service Pack for all SQL Server instances from the Command Prompt and implement the process in a quiet non-interactive mode using the command below, it will save you time. For more details, please review this article: Installing Updates from the Command Prompt.

<package_name>.exe /quiet /IAcceptSQLServerLicenseTerms /AllInstances

Thanks,
    Lydia Zhang

MSDN Community Support
    Please remember to click "Mark as Answer" the responses that resolved your issue, and to click "Unmark as Answer" if not. This can be beneficial to other community members reading this thread. If you have any compliments or complaints to MSDN Support, feel free to contact MSDNFSF@microsoft.com.

Wednesday, March 1, 2017 7:15 AM
  • Just to verify:

Is the installation of multiple instances on an MSCS cluster something intended by Microsoft as a best practice?  Does Microsoft say, "this is intended for use on a cluster?"

Thanks in advance.

Wednesday, March 1, 2017 2:38 PM
  • Hi West,

The installation of Service pack for multiple instances is not intended for cluster. It provides a convenient and fast way for users to update SQL Server stand-alone instances or failover-cluster instances at a time .

Thanks,
    Lydia Zhang

MSDN Community Support
    Please remember to click "Mark as Answer" the responses that resolved your issue, and to click "Unmark as Answer" if not. This can be beneficial to other community members reading this thread. If you have any compliments or complaints to MSDN Support, feel free to contact MSDNFSF@microsoft.com.

Thursday, March 2, 2017 7:20 AM
  • Lydia:

I do not understand your reply.  In the first part you say

"The installation of Service pack for multiple instances is not intended for cluster."

In the second half you say

"It provides a convenient and fast way for users to update SQL Server stand-alone instances or failover-cluster instances at a time"

So, is it for clustering, or isn't it?

Wednesday, March 8, 2017 7:31 PM
  • Hi George:

In this screen shot, which I saved from August 2010, I think there is a better analogy to the one I took of the 2014 SP2 upgrade.   This is a picture of an upgrade to SQL2K8 SP1.  I chose to upgrade two instances.  This was on a cluster.  So I am leaning to choosing two instances to upgrade simultaneously, and then if that works, the other four.

Thursday, March 9, 2017 10:23 PM
  • Hi West,

I mean that the update process is available for both stand-alone SQL Server instances and SQL Server failover cluster instance. It is not a specific feature for SQL Server failover cluster instance.

In your last screenshot,  it means that Instance 1 and Instance 2 don't meet the requirements to apply SQL Server 2008 SP1, the two instances may have been applied to SP1 or higher Service Pack.

Thanks,
    Lydia Zhang

MSDN Community Support

Friday, March 10, 2017 4:13 AM
  • OK, Here's the scoop.

The application of multiple updates, simultaneously, to more than one node in a multi-node MSCS cluster is safe.

I ran the SP2 update on a lightly used instance of a three node cluster and it worked without a problem.

Then, I ran two more, solo, of the main instances.   No issues.

Then, I ran an update for the last three instances at the same time.

If they ever come out with an SP3 for SQL2K14, that is how I will install it. 

But they won't, so the knowledge I gained will have to benefit other users.

Ciao.

Monday, March 20, 2017 2:47 PM