none
Cannot Install .Net Framework 4.0 Full on Windows 7 x64 RRS feed

• Question

• I'm trying to install Visual Studio C# 2010 Express, and it fails when installing .Net Framework 4. The error in the log is:

Installation failed with error code: (0x00003B01), "The resource loader cache doesn't have loaded MUI entry."

I've tried installing .Net Framework 4 using the standalone installer, but that also fails with the same error (at least it's consistent). I've tried running the Microsoft .Net cleanup tool, but that doesn't help. I've tried cleaning up the %temp% directory, but that also doesn't help. I've tried Googling but it seems like I'm the only one who has this problem.

Interestingly enough, installing the Client Profile for .Net Framework 4 via Windows Update works (though uninstalling it doesn't help solve this problem).

The log is as follows:

OS Version = 6.1.7601, Platform 2, Service Pack 1
    OS Description = Windows 7 - x64 Service Pack 1
    CommandLine = F:\7beadcad5d42d3a4d91b169c\\Setup.exe /x86 /x64
    TimeZone = Eastern Daylight Time
    Initial LCID = 4105
    Using Simultaneous Download and Install mechanism

Operation: Installing
    Package Name = Microsoft .NET Framework 4 Setup
    Package Version = 4.0.30319
    User Experience Data Collection Policy: Disabled
    Number of applicable items: 11

Exe (F:\7beadcad5d42d3a4d91b169c\SetupUtility.exe) succeeded.
    Exe Log File: dd_SetupUtility.txt
    ServiceControl operation succeeded!
    Exe (F:\7beadcad5d42d3a4d91b169c\Windows6.1-KB958488-v6001-x64.msu) failed with 0x3b01 - The resource loader cache doesn't have loaded MUI entry. .

Final Result: Installation failed with error code: (0x00003B01), "The resource loader cache doesn't have loaded MUI entry. " (Elapsed time: 0 00:00:20).

Sunday, April 24, 2011 5:40 PM

Answers

• Hi,

I'm posting to follow up your issue. Have it been resolved? Are there any updates?

I have found a similar issue in this link: http://superuser.com/questions/274743/problem-installing-net-framework-4-full-on-windows-7-x64, which is resolved by running the sfc /scannow command. Would you please also try this method?

1. Open an elevated command prompt.To do this, click Start menu -> All Programs -> Accessories, right-click Command Prompt, and then choose Run as administrator. If you are prompted for an administrator password or for a confirmation, type the password, or click Allow;
    2. Type the following command, and then press ENTER:
      sfc /scannow
    3. Reboot system;
    4. For more information about System File Checker tool (SFC.exe) usage on Windows 7, please see: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/929833

Before installation, please turn off your anti-virus/antispyware software; clean your %temp% folder (Start Menu >> Run >> Type "%temp%). Then run the setup with Administrator privilege.

If the above steps still no avail, would you please collect the installation logs and send it to me (v-anwu_at_microsoft_dot_com)?

Waiting to hear from you.

Best Regards,

Andrew Wu [MSFT]
    MSDN Community Support | Feedback to us
    Get or Request Code Sample from Microsoft
    Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help.

Friday, April 29, 2011 8:55 AM

All replies

• Please use this tool to collect the logs: http://blogs.msdn.com/b/heaths/archive/2008/05/09/visual-studio-and-net-log-collection-utility.aspx

Then upload the vslogs.cab file to skydrive, so that we could help you find the cause of your issue.

Also, you can try change your Clock, Language and Region settings to United States instead of Canada and run the setup again.

Wednesday, April 27, 2011 4:13 PM
  • Hi,

I'm posting to follow up your issue. Have it been resolved? Are there any updates?

I have found a similar issue in this link: http://superuser.com/questions/274743/problem-installing-net-framework-4-full-on-windows-7-x64, which is resolved by running the sfc /scannow command. Would you please also try this method?

1. Open an elevated command prompt.To do this, click Start menu -> All Programs -> Accessories, right-click Command Prompt, and then choose Run as administrator. If you are prompted for an administrator password or for a confirmation, type the password, or click Allow;
    2. Type the following command, and then press ENTER:
      sfc /scannow
    3. Reboot system;
    4. For more information about System File Checker tool (SFC.exe) usage on Windows 7, please see: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/929833

Before installation, please turn off your anti-virus/antispyware software; clean your %temp% folder (Start Menu >> Run >> Type "%temp%). Then run the setup with Administrator privilege.

If the above steps still no avail, would you please collect the installation logs and send it to me (v-anwu_at_microsoft_dot_com)?

Waiting to hear from you.

Best Regards,

Andrew Wu [MSFT]
    MSDN Community Support | Feedback to us
    Get or Request Code Sample from Microsoft
    Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help.

Friday, April 29, 2011 8:55 AM