Can not connect to FTP server RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,
      I'm sure it's there has got to be a simple fix but I cannot publish to an ftp server.  Every time I enter my server name login and password it just comes back with an error that it cannot connect.
    I seem to connect via ftp fine using smartftp program with the exact same login info.  But no luck with expression web 2.0.  Can you help?

Blessings!
    Blake
    Thursday, September 25, 2008 4:09 AM

Answers

• In EW-2 go to Tools>Application Settings-FTP tab. Check (or uncheck) 'Use Passive FTP. Now, go into Internet Explorer>Tools>Internet Options>Advanced.. Scroll down to 'Browsing' and Check (or uncheck) 'Use Passive FTP'. The settings in both EW-2 an IE should agree.

Now, try to access your FTP server from EW using your credentials.

Let us know if this works.

_Preston
    Columbia, CA. USA http://www.gildedmoon.com
    Thursday, September 25, 2008 4:33 AM
  • Use a third party sftp or ftps tool such as Filezilla or WS-FTP since there is currently no support for secure ftp protocols in Expression Web. Yo may also want to take the survey in a sticky at the top of this forum where they ask how important sercure ftp is for you as a user of Expression Web.
    MS MVP Expression http://by-expression.com
    Saturday, September 27, 2008 6:16 PM
  • Double check your firewall and make sure that Expression Web is allowed to access the internet. The Windows Firewall in Vista blocks it by default (should get a prompt the first time you try to publish but if it was hidden behind another window or dismissed it may not pop up again.) Zone Alarm and other firewalls will block it as well.
    Friday, September 26, 2008 6:42 PM

All replies

• In EW-2 go to Tools>Application Settings-FTP tab. Check (or uncheck) 'Use Passive FTP. Now, go into Internet Explorer>Tools>Internet Options>Advanced.. Scroll down to 'Browsing' and Check (or uncheck) 'Use Passive FTP'. The settings in both EW-2 an IE should agree.

Now, try to access your FTP server from EW using your credentials.

Let us know if this works.

_Preston
    Columbia, CA. USA http://www.gildedmoon.com
    Thursday, September 25, 2008 4:33 AM
  •  Tried what you suggested but no such luck.  It just comes back with:  Unable to connect to the server.  Make sure you typed the url correctly. 
    Friday, September 26, 2008 12:34 AM
  •  I have seen this in cases where connections to the network/internet/host server are not stable. If you have packet loss issues Expression Web will fail to connect or you will get errors once you do connect.  Run simple pings to you hosts site to see if you have loss issue.

To do this:  open the command prompt.

Type in         ping www.hostsitename.com -t    (this will keep a constant ping going and ctrl+c will kill the process)

If you see packet loss this is an indication you may have some network issue or the host has issues. Wireless connections are typically culprits in packet loss.

Pure FTP tools don't care about packet loss and stable connections, however, expression web wants a stable connection.  
    Friday, September 26, 2008 4:10 PM
  • Double check your firewall and make sure that Expression Web is allowed to access the internet. The Windows Firewall in Vista blocks it by default (should get a prompt the first time you try to publish but if it was hidden behind another window or dismissed it may not pop up again.) Zone Alarm and other firewalls will block it as well.
    Friday, September 26, 2008 6:42 PM
  • My problem is I don't see a way to use Secure FTP (SFTP) in Expression Web anywhere (it's not even in the help files), so I'm at a complete loss as for what to do to get to my website using anything but Dreamweaver, as it does give you the option of using SFTP.
    Saturday, September 27, 2008 6:40 AM
  • You can use an FTP client like FileZilla for secure FTP filezilla

--
    Chris Hanscom - Microsoft MVP
    Resource Center | Veign's Blog | Web Development Help
    Saturday, September 27, 2008 2:02 PM
  • Use a third party sftp or ftps tool such as Filezilla or WS-FTP since there is currently no support for secure ftp protocols in Expression Web. Yo may also want to take the survey in a sticky at the top of this forum where they ask how important sercure ftp is for you as a user of Expression Web.
    Saturday, September 27, 2008 6:16 PM
  • I was going through these threads for help on the ftp issue.  I wanted to add some items that I came across in my searches that might be helpful to someone else.  

I understand from a posting that EW also uses  Internet Explorer's settings.  I don't know if this all works in a cascade, but my specific setup for the ftp site was unchecked for using Passive FTP.  I fixed (unchecked) that setting at the EW application level, but still could not connect.  After coming across this info, I went into my Advanced tab Options on IE and unchecked the selection for using Passive FTP.

On my various goDaddy Linux hosted sites, I can login with just my username, but on a different host with a Linux server setup I need to include the ...@domain.org on my username.  

My connection via ftp now works on the site I was struggling with.  I'm reluctant to start undoing things to determine which step actually did the trick, but hopefully, one or the other of the above might be helpful to try.
    Thursday, November 27, 2008 12:20 AM
  • Yeah, I also think the absence of SFTP in EW2 is a bummer.  I have CuteFTP Pro and beacause I wanted the SFTP feature.

However, I must give credit where credit is due.... after running test comparisons over a 20/20 fios connection, the free engine from Filezilla smokes CuteFTP pro in terms of speed. Filezilla is stable and fast. And FREE!

While not as fast as Filezilla CuteFTP Pro does allow me set any number of max connections. Today, I uploaded 50 videos ranging from 3-50 mgb all at the same time. Whew!!!! And it was done in like 15 mins. That's impressive.

Friday, November 28, 2008 1:06 AM
  • FWIW, I believe I read in a thread here that EW doesn't support SFTP because it uses the Windows FTP client, which also doesn't support it. I think that the same post mentioned that it was on the list for the next upgrade/service pack (like several score other items ;-), so maybe we'll see it then...

cheers,
    scott
    Saturday, November 29, 2008 3:40 AM
  • Yes scott I have heard this as well in my further research on this problem.  I spoke to some IT personnel at my university, and they suggested Core FTP Lite, which I have been using for about a month now.

I look forward to the update that will add SFTP to the windows ftp client, but I am already getting used to my alternative.
    Wednesday, December 24, 2008 11:03 PM
  • Blake,

The only major difference between Expression 1.0 and version 2.0 was MS got around to adding the "remember password" checkbox.  That cost about $100.00 to upgrade so that, finally, Express Web was equal to the first version of FrontPage back in 1998.  What a way to wrangle another hundred bucks out of MS customers.  Now, I am sure that with a billion crooks out there trying to fool around with packets as they fly hither and yon around the internet - and with MS's supposed security concerns - that we'll finally get an upgrade for another $100 allowing port 22 to be used.  This is all not by error or oversight.  It is all designed to scrounge as much money out of MS customers as possible.
    Tuesday, March 10, 2009 6:48 AM
  • Crown,

There are more differences than just fixing hte password bug (a serious bug indeeded.) They include:

PHP support both in the application and in the testing server that comes with it.
    Option to disable the BOM on pages.
    Insert > Media added for Flash, Silverlight and Windows Media

There were others but the first one was the biggie.
    MS MVP Expression Tutorials & Help http://by-expression.com and online instructor led Expression Classes
    Tuesday, March 10, 2009 4:08 PM