none
USB Driver Certification for Product Re-branding (Reseller). RRS feed

• Question

• We have a product in the market that uses the generic driver like "usbser.sys" with our own ProductName.inf file, VID & PID assigned and driver certified (HLK).

A different company is now re-branding our product (reseller) and wanting to remove of all name strings that refer to us (the original company). That means a revised "NewProductName.inf" need to be created, signed and HLK certified. The current idea is that the current VID will be reused and a new PID will be cut from the original company to keep it simple.  

From my understanding or lack of:
          Step 1: Pull the original .hlkx bundle from the Microsoft to start with a known certified files.
          Step 2: Modify the .inf to use the new PID and rename the name string that refer to the original company.
          Step 3: Run the HLK studio to sign and create a new bundle of .cat and .inf files and upload .hlkx back to the Microsoft server.  The assumption is that a new entry will be created for this .hlkx and then wait for the status to become "Finalize".

Questions:
    * Does the procedure above make sense? Not sure what else do we need to do, any template or checklist that we can follow? 
    * Due to the changes being 100% cosmetic, we assume that no driver certification test need to run again.  Is that right?

* I read something about shipping label, and I'm not sure how relevant is it to our goal.  Can someone help explain? 

This is our first time and would like some insights from the experts here.

• Edited by Yeung123 Thursday, February 13, 2020 5:33 PM
    Tuesday, February 4, 2020 11:34 PM