none
Kinect 1.0 Beta 2 SDK Failed Install RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

I'm trying to install the Kinect 1.0 Beta 2 SDK 32bit. However when it is half way through the installation the error 'Service 'Kinect Management' (KinectManagement) failed to start'. I am running Windows 7 Home Premium 32bit SP1 with Visual Studio 2010 Ultimate SP1. What should I do?

Peter

Friday, November 18, 2011 9:50 AM

Answers

• I was having the same issue.  What I finally noticed was that the installer seems to be installing the files to a different folder location than typical.  If you start the KinectSDK-v1.0-beta2-x86 installer you will notice that there is an 'Advanced' button on one of the first screens.  When I pushed this button, I noticed the installer wanted to install the files to my canon printer folder.  I replaced this file path to be 'C:\Program Files\Microsoft Research KinectSDK\', and continued on with the installer and everything worked fine.  The Kinect Management service started without error.
    • Proposed as answer by The Thinker Sunday, January 15, 2012 1:51 AM
    • Marked as answer by PeterWagner Saturday, August 18, 2012 8:07 AM
    Saturday, January 14, 2012 11:08 PM

All replies

• is the Kinect device plugged in at the time you are installing? What is the machine config / usb host controller that you are installing on? That can help us troubleshoot.

-Todd

Saturday, November 19, 2011 6:48 AM
  • No the device is not plugged in when installing. It worked with beta 1. I don't know if there are conflictions with both versions, i.e. left-over drivers.

Peter

Tuesday, November 22, 2011 5:37 PM
  • did you uninstall Beta 1 before installing Beta 2?
    Tuesday, November 22, 2011 7:32 PM
  • Hey everybody!

I'm having the same problem here, Running Win7 Ultimate 32bit. At some point during the installation, it says:

Error 1920. Service 'Kinect Management' (KinectManagement) failed to start.  Verify that you have sufficient privileges to start system services.

But of course, the installer runs with Admin privileges. To be absolutely sure, I activated the "hidden" Admin account in Windows 7 (as shown here: http://goo.gl/p1vTL) and tried running the installation from there, with the same result.

I now ran the installer with the "/l*" option and had it create a logfile, which I uploaded to my Dropbox for you to download, if you like :): http://dl.dropbox.com/u/1463693/kinectlog.txt

I think the important lines are lines 503 to 507:

Action 12:59:13: InstallServices. Installing new services
    InstallServices: Service: 
    Action 12:59:13: StartServices. Starting services
    StartServices: Service: Kinect Management
    Error 1920. Service 'Kinect Management' (KinectManagement) failed to start.  Verify that you have sufficient privileges to start system services.

It looks like the setup is trying to install the service but failing to do so. And then, when trying to start a non-existing service, it, of course, fails.

Has anyone any idea of how to fix this?

Thanks in advance,
    Christoph 

Thursday, November 24, 2011 12:18 PM
  • Hi Todd,

Yes I did uninstall Beta 1 first.

Wednesday, November 30, 2011 5:47 PM
  • Try logging into the default administrator account then and running the install and tell us if it works and your current account might not have administrative privileges.

P.S. you can also try typing in services.msc and stopping the service manually but make sure you dont disable a service used by your anti-virus but this might help.

Once you eliminate the impossible, whatever remains, no matter how improbable, must be the truth. - "Sherlock holmes" "speak softly and carry a big stick" - theodore roosevelt.

• Edited by The Thinker Thursday, December 1, 2011 2:05 PM
    Thursday, December 1, 2011 2:03 PM
  • i was already using that account and im running beta 3 windows dev edition of win 8 on a netbook so do you no were to get beta one cause it just wont  wrok

Friday, December 16, 2011 4:28 AM
  • i was already using that account and im running beta 3 windows dev edition of win 8 on a netbook so do you no were to get beta one cause it just wont  wrok

what is the error you are getting?
    Friday, December 16, 2011 8:10 PM
  • Have you tryed starting the service manually also? Although i would guess drivers but it might be something else wrong. Can you post a picture Wagner Peter? Usually that helps us to being better able to solve the problem.
    Once you eliminate the impossible, whatever remains, no matter how improbable, must be the truth. - "Sherlock holmes" "speak softly and carry a big stick" - theodore roosevelt. Fear leads to anger, anger leads to hate, hate leads to suffering - Yoda
    Sunday, December 18, 2011 10:18 PM
  • I was having the same issue.  What I finally noticed was that the installer seems to be installing the files to a different folder location than typical.  If you start the KinectSDK-v1.0-beta2-x86 installer you will notice that there is an 'Advanced' button on one of the first screens.  When I pushed this button, I noticed the installer wanted to install the files to my canon printer folder.  I replaced this file path to be 'C:\Program Files\Microsoft Research KinectSDK\', and continued on with the installer and everything worked fine.  The Kinect Management service started without error.
    • Proposed as answer by The Thinker Sunday, January 15, 2012 1:51 AM
    • Marked as answer by PeterWagner Saturday, August 18, 2012 8:07 AM
    Saturday, January 14, 2012 11:08 PM
  • I will have to add that to my guide blackjoker but i think that might happen in some instances.
    Once you eliminate the impossible, whatever remains, no matter how improbable, must be the truth. - "Sherlock holmes" "speak softly and carry a big stick" - theodore roosevelt. Fear leads to anger, anger leads to hate, hate leads to suffering - Yoda
    Sunday, January 15, 2012 1:53 AM