none
Suggestion: Improve the Windows Store experience for K4W2 RRS feed

• General discussion

• I tried looking at Kinect Evolution on Windows Store from a laptop which I knew lacked enough GPU performance to work with release 2.0 of the Kinect SDK. The Store invited me to install, a process that completes successfully. Then when I run Kinect Evolution I'm told No Sensor detected, fine I've not plugged it in yet.

So next plug sensor into a USB 3.0 port and the message "No sensor detected. Please check connections." flashes on and off.

Two suggestions for the dev team to make it easier for anyone planning on releasing apps to the store:

1. Provide a Microsoft application "Welcome to Kinect" whatever on the store that lets users know if their system is not Kinect compatible (in a friendly way with as much info as possible and links to troubleshooting on Microsoft.com). That way I can avoid having to support these issues with my app, or have update my app if there are changes to SDK support issues. I can simply refer users to the Microsoft Welcome application.

2. Provide best practice guidance in the SDK as how store applications should cope with errors using the Kinect. For instance I will want my own application to install whether or not the device is Kinect-capable (I provide some functionality without a Kinect attached so I certainly don't want the store to be 'clever' and prevent an install on a non-compatible machine.) However other applications may be useless without a working Kinect plugged in so its fools gold to install the app.

Thanks

Bob

Thursday, October 30, 2014 3:46 PM

All replies

• Thank you for the feedback and will pass along to our team that manages the submission guidelines.

Carmine Sirignano - MSFT

Thursday, October 30, 2014 4:54 PM