none
Visual Studio XAML Designer keeps crashing

Question

• Visual Studio XAML Designer panel crashes after the Windows Store/Mobile project app is created and opened up.  It also affects The Express editions and Visual Studio 2012.  But doesn't seem to affect Visual Studio 2015 community edition for some unknown reason.

Steps to reproduce the issue:

New Project
    Windows
    Universal or Windoes 8 app choices
    Choose a Layout
    OK
    then when it opens click on XAML designer
    Then you will see the error saying that the designer is not available due to an exception.  It would similar to this one:

An Unhandled Exception has occured
    System.Runtime.InteropServices.COMException
    Exception from HRESULT: 0x80511001
       at Microsoft.Expression.HostUtility.Platform.AppContainerProcessDomainFactory.CreateDesignerProcess(String applicationPath, String clientPort, Uri hostUri, IDictionary environmentVariables, Int32& processId, Object& processData)
       at Microsoft.Expression.DesignHost.Isolation.Primitives.ProcessDomainFactory.ProcessIsolationDomain..ctor(ProcessDomainFactory factory, IIsolationBoundary boundary, AppDomainSetup appDomainInfo, FrameworkName targetFramework, String identifier, String baseDirectory)
       at Microsoft.Expression.DesignHost.Isolation.Primitives.ProcessDomainFactory.CreateIsolationDomain(IIsolationBoundary boundary)
       at Microsoft.Expression.HostUtility.Platform.AppContainerProcessDomainFactory.CreateIsolationDomain(IIsolationBoundary boundary)
       at Microsoft.Expression.DesignHost.Isolation.Primitives.IsolationBoundary.Initialize()
       at Microsoft.Expression.DesignHost.Isolation.Primitives.IsolationBoundary.CreateInstance[T](Type type)
       at Microsoft.Expression.DesignHost.Isolation.IsolatedExportProvider.Initialize()
       at Microsoft.VisualStudio.ExpressionHost.Services.VSIsolationService.CreateExportProvider(IIsolationTarget isolationTarget, ICatalogFactory catalogFactory, IExportFilter filter)
       at Microsoft.Expression.DesignHost.Isolation.IsolationService.CreateLease(IIsolationTarget isolationTarget)
       at Microsoft.Expression.DesignHost.IsolatedDesignerService.CreateLease(IIsolationTarget isolationTarget, CancellationToken cancelToken, DesignerServiceEntry& entry)
       at Microsoft.Expression.DesignHost.IsolatedDesignerService.IsolatedDesignerView.CreateDesignerViewInfo(CancellationToken cancelToken)
       at Microsoft.Expression.DesignHost.Isolation.IsolatedTaskScheduler.InvokeWithCulture[T](CultureInfo culture, Func`2 func, CancellationToken cancelToken)
       at Microsoft.Expression.DesignHost.Isolation.IsolatedTaskScheduler.<>c__DisplayClassa`1.<StartTask>b__6()
       at System.Threading.Tasks.Task`1.InnerInvoke()
       at System.Threading.Tasks.Task.Execute()

Sunday, March 13, 2016 3:06 PM

Answers

• Do a repair on visual studio 2012 if you cant switch to using vs 2015 all the time
    Sunday, March 13, 2016 4:25 PM
  • Hi wboswall,

Have you installed the VS2012 Update 5?

I did a test in my side using VS2012 Update5. And I can open the XMAL designer successfully.

So please install the  VS2012 Update5 then try it again.

In addition, I suggest you'd better use VS2015 or VS2013 to develop your Universal or Windoes 8 app.

If you have installed the VS2012 Update 5. Please  follow Ken's suggestion to repair your VS2012 Update5 then try it again. If still no help, use VS2015 looks like the best choice for you.

Best Regards,

Lake Xiao

Tuesday, March 15, 2016 1:55 AM

All replies

• Do a repair on visual studio 2012 if you cant switch to using vs 2015 all the time
    Sunday, March 13, 2016 4:25 PM
  • Hi wboswall,

Have you installed the VS2012 Update 5?

I did a test in my side using VS2012 Update5. And I can open the XMAL designer successfully.

So please install the  VS2012 Update5 then try it again.

In addition, I suggest you'd better use VS2015 or VS2013 to develop your Universal or Windoes 8 app.

If you have installed the VS2012 Update 5. Please  follow Ken's suggestion to repair your VS2012 Update5 then try it again. If still no help, use VS2015 looks like the best choice for you.

Best Regards,

Lake Xiao

Tuesday, March 15, 2016 1:55 AM
  • I tried to do that but no success.  Instead I uninstalled 2012 and just focusing on the community version 2015.  Thank you for your help. 

William

Saturday, April 02, 2016 7:55 PM
  • I did but that didn't work.  I just uninstalled 2012 and now using community version 2015 for now.  Thank you for your advice. Much appreciated. 

William

Saturday, April 02, 2016 7:59 PM
  • I tried that but that didn't want to work.  I then decided to just uninstall 2012 and use 2015 community version instead.  Thank you for your input.  It was much appreciated. 

William

Saturday, April 02, 2016 8:00 PM
  • I did but that didn't work.  I just uninstalled 2012 and now using community version 2015 for now.  Thank you for your advice. Much appreciated. 

William

Saturday, April 02, 2016 8:00 PM