Problem installing MVC 3 RRS feed

• Question

• User1358813937 posted

Hi

I am getting really fed up trying to install MVC 3, I have bloged about the problem here - http://blog.williamhilsum.com/2011/03/error-0x80070643-installing-aspnet-mvc.html

To sum it up, after ages of digging around, I finally managed to track it down to the aspnetwebpages.msi component.

I am not sure what to do next as I have tried to repair, remove, force delete as well as a few other things, but I am just getting no where.

I have a normal system - I upgraded to Windows 7 SP1 yesterday, VS 2010 SP1 today and have never had any Betas installed apart from Web Matrix which I uninstalled today (after the VS SP1).

I can not see anything that sticks out and was just wondering if anyone can help.

The exact details of the error is:

Error 1722. There is a problem with this Windows Installer package. A program run as part of the setup did not finish as expected. Contact your support personnel or package vendor.  Action WebConfigCA_Remove, location: C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft ASP.NET\ASP.NET Web Pages\v1.0\WebConfig\WebConfigCA.exe, command: -u 

=== Logging stopped: 10/03/2011  01:22:31 ===

Performing the setup on the entire MVC package results in something slightly different - it says it fails on one of the KBs, however, I was able to install it seporately so I am sure that this is the only component failing (at the moment).
    Thanks.

Wednesday, March 9, 2011 8:53 PM

Answers

• User1431978804 posted

Hi Wil,

I think you also posted this on microsoft connect. I added a workaround there, but here it is for good measure:

We experienced the same issue - I was unable to install because an old version of "Microsoft ASP.NET Web Pages" was still installed. However, the uninstaller was failing for the old version.

It seems VS 2010 SP 1 modifies the framework paths in the registry to contain a trailing backslash, which causes the uninstaller for the old version of "Microsoft ASP.NET Web Pages" to fail.

Steps to workaround are:

1. Remove the trailing backslash from the following registry keys:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\ASP.NET\4.0.30319.0\Path

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Wow6432Node\Microsoft\ASP.NET\4.0.30319.0\Path

2. Uninstalled the old version of "Microsoft ASP.NET Web Pages".

3. Add the trailing backslash back to those keys.

4. Install MVC 3.

Hope that helps!

• Marked as answer by Anonymous Thursday, October 7, 2021 12:00 AM
    Friday, March 11, 2011 1:37 AM

All replies

• User1431978804 posted

Hi Wil,

I think you also posted this on microsoft connect. I added a workaround there, but here it is for good measure:

We experienced the same issue - I was unable to install because an old version of "Microsoft ASP.NET Web Pages" was still installed. However, the uninstaller was failing for the old version.

It seems VS 2010 SP 1 modifies the framework paths in the registry to contain a trailing backslash, which causes the uninstaller for the old version of "Microsoft ASP.NET Web Pages" to fail.

Steps to workaround are:

1. Remove the trailing backslash from the following registry keys:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\ASP.NET\4.0.30319.0\Path

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Wow6432Node\Microsoft\ASP.NET\4.0.30319.0\Path

2. Uninstalled the old version of "Microsoft ASP.NET Web Pages".

3. Add the trailing backslash back to those keys.

4. Install MVC 3.

Hope that helps!

• Marked as answer by Anonymous Thursday, October 7, 2021 12:00 AM
    Friday, March 11, 2011 1:37 AM
  • User1358813937 posted

@Matt.... I think I love you!!!!!

I have been trying to do this on and off for 2 days and I was a few hours away from reinstalling windows.

This teaches me for playing with a beta!

Thank you so much!

How on earth did you find this out? Also, should I put the slashes back in after reinstalling?

Again, thanks!

Friday, March 11, 2011 2:50 AM
  • User1431978804 posted

Hi Wil,

Glad to have helped! Smile

I put the registry keys back to their original values after I uninstalled the old version of "ASP.NET Web Pages", so yes I'd recommend you add the slashes back.

We found this out when we noticed the part of the uninstall that was failing was a call to "WebConfigCA.exe" (using the msiexec command line to enable logging). We looked up the stack trace of the failure in Event Viewer, and then used Reflector to see the code that was failing. The code was concatenating the value of the framework path in the registry with "\config", which was leading to a path with two backslashes, which failed a validity check in the code. We checked a machine without VS 2010 SP1 installed and there wasn't a backslash on the registry key - this seemed to explain why the uninstall would have worked before SP1 was installed but not after.

From there we came up with the workaround of temporarily removing the slashes while uninstalling the old version of "ASP.NET Web Pages".

Friday, March 11, 2011 3:40 AM
  • User1358813937 posted

Thanks - I have put the slashes back in now.

I saw the basic log in the temp folder, saw the event log error with the unhandled exception and even did reflector, however I never got as far as to seeing what variable was actually going in to it other than just calling it with `-u`

But thanks again - I have updated the blog and given you credit - http://blog.williamhilsum.com/2011/03/error-0x80070643-installing-aspnet-mvc.html (If you have a blog/want your name linked to any page, please let me know.) 

Friday, March 11, 2011 4:06 AM
  • User-196644627 posted

I managed to re-install using this post first and then this http://blog.mjjames.co.uk/2010/12/mvc-3-rc2-install-error-0x80070643.html

Friday, March 11, 2011 4:48 PM
  • User1196771204 posted

Hi will,

It truly surprises me that you had many problems installing MVC 3. The installation should be pretty straight forward and easy.

Did you manage to have the issue resolved?

Friday, March 11, 2011 10:09 PM
  • User1358813937 posted

Yes - Please see Matts first reply - marked as answer.

It was down to the SP1 install changing registry paths. It is all installed and working now!

Friday, March 11, 2011 10:14 PM