none
Protect from Editing Documents and Document Templates RRS feed

• Question

• In Word 2003 and prior a document could have form fields and protection turned on and editing restricted for everything except the form fields.  I am using content controls and would like that same functionality with the exception of a few users.  Since we have IRM I have created a template with read only permission except for a few users which are given full control.  When the document template is opened and the User form fields are filled in a button is pressed to run the function to fill in the Content Controls and delete unused objects and text.  The function also turns on Track Changes.  If the user has read only permission the new document from the template cannot be altered and the content controls cannot be filled in.  So I have to give users edit permission in order to fill in the content controls.  I want to save the document with read only access for the users with exception of a few.  This works fine for users with full control permission but for users with any thing less than full control permission they are given access denied error.  Also for some cases the user will need to edit the new document so I have created a sub to unlock the document for editing but to return the document to read only after the document is edited.  How can permissions be changed if the document created from the document template is created by a user with only read permission?  What is the difference between Permission and Protect?

Tuesday, March 12, 2013 3:45 PM

All replies

• It looks like a end user question. This is a forum for development issues. Try this forum for help: http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/office
    • Edited by Howie.R Friday, March 15, 2013 1:29 PM
    Friday, March 15, 2013 1:27 PM
  • Thank you Howie for your response.  I probably did not explain that when I change the permissions this is done programmatically.  It is definitely a development question because it involves running the code on the Word document then securing it programmatically.
    If the user does not have Full Control there is an error when the code executes the protect document code.
    • Edited by kaykayme Friday, March 15, 2013 11:35 PM
    Friday, March 15, 2013 11:28 PM