none
Form1 Design disappeared?! RRS feed

• Question

• So apparently I was working on my project and I accidentally pressed close on Form1 Design. The code is still there but I can't seem to open it's design. I spent at least an hour trying to find the solution on google but I can't find a "Clear" answer.

Here are some screenshots :

https://gyazo.com/a832820485c867d7369ce11f3a61789f

https://gyazo.com/f0efd27456c2464cf35691522bc47f29

And yes, I have tried the "Look into the code and right click and press View Design"

https://gyazo.com/acbfbbce7f5d32a841e0e1c20df56e7b

Friday, May 6, 2016 9:47 PM

All replies

• Did you try right clicking on "Form1.vb" or whichever "FormX.vb" it is you want to open in the Solution Explorer and choosing "Open" or just double clicking "FormX.vb" in the Solution Explorer?

EDIT:  You say you can`t open the Form1 Design but,  in your video i can see the Form1 [Design] tab and the "Form1.Designer.vb" code so,  i am not sure what you are talking about.

If you say it can`t be done then i`ll try it

• Edited by IronRazerz Friday, May 6, 2016 11:05 PM
    Friday, May 6, 2016 10:21 PM
  • Do you have any code in Form1.vb.  Accidentally deleting this is a common cause for this issue.
    Friday, May 6, 2016 10:43 PM
  • Which file are you talking about?

If you are referring to Form1.Design.vb the only two reasons for an issue is something was changed and you saved it (which you should not do) or you did not change anything, saved it and Visual Studio corrupted the designer for one of many reasons.

This is why it's good to backup entire projects at given intervals. 

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help, this will help others who are looking for solutions to the same or similar problem. Contact via my Twitter (Karen Payne) or Facebook (Karen Payne) via my MSDN profile but will not answer coding question on either.
    VB Forums - moderator
    profile for Karen Payne on Stack Exchange, a network of free, community-driven Q&A sites

Friday, May 6, 2016 10:43 PM
  • the only two reasons for an issue is something was changed and you saved it (which you should not do) or you did not change anything, saved it and Visual Studio corrupted the designer for one of many reasons.

Not the only reasons Karen.  Start a new project, add a couple of controls to the form and then delete the content of the code file (Form1.vb).  Then close the Form1.vb[Design] tab.

Now try and open it again.

Friday, May 6, 2016 10:54 PM
  • I should had said two common reasons. Hate doing this on a phone

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help, this will help others who are looking for solutions to the same or similar problem. Contact via my Twitter (Karen Payne) or Facebook (Karen Payne) via my MSDN profile but will not answer coding question on either.
    VB Forums - moderator
    profile for Karen Payne on Stack Exchange, a network of free, community-driven Q&A sites

Friday, May 6, 2016 11:18 PM
  • Well what was the last thing you did that caused the issue?

I see two other Forms open in design mode in your last URL. Perhaps you should compare the designer code of Form1 with one of the other two to see what any differences may be.

Most likely something you added onto the Form a reference may no longer be able to be found to it or something.

I would close the project, copy the project folder to another location as a temporary backup, then see if you can correct the project.

However if you're comfortable with altering the Form1.Designer.VB file you can remove whatever was added to the Form which may be causing an issue if that's the case. Or in the applications properties window select the references item and see if a reference needs to be removed. Maybe a Virus(T) got to the project. :/

La vida loca

Saturday, May 7, 2016 12:26 AM