none
Buttons in my code suddenly stop working across all written programs

Question

• I am not a pro obviously. I have written several programs in VS2010 thru VS2015 for various projects using the VS for desktop windows forms. Recently I was upgrading a program I wrote for the local food pantry. All the 'buttons' in the program across all the forms wouldn't respond. MenuStrip commands worked just fine.

I thought at first I had broke something in the latest build, so I closed the solution and built a simple project with just a form and one button that just closed the form.   Again,   the button wouldn't respond.

After rebooting my computer, all was well.  Buttons worked as designed.

I am using windows10 on an HP Envy AiO with VS2015 express.  Any thoughts?

billyp

Monday, November 16, 2015 9:13 PM

Answers

• I do run as admin, but I have never disabled the antivirus or spyware.  I really cant imagine that the virus protection would somehow disable the 'click' events and nothing else. 

I think the 'buttonbase' class was doing its job. I could see the buttons highlight as the mouse hovered over them.  It is as though buttonbase was marking the event as handled instead of passing it to the inherited class.

billyp

Wednesday, November 18, 2015 2:46 PM

All replies

• Hi B Pear,

Thank you for posting in MSDN forum.

>> After rebooting my computer, all was well.  Buttons worked as designed.

I doubt that some third party software running on your machine may lead to this issue, and after rebooting, it works well.

Best Regards,

We are trying to better understand customer views on social support experience, so your participation in this interview project would be greatly appreciated if you have time. Thanks for helping make community forums a great place.

Click HERE to participate the survey.

Tuesday, November 17, 2015 6:14 AM
  • I was not very clear with my post.   The published code was working fine.   Only in the VS ide did the problem occur.  I don't know if its related, but each time the incident occurred I had taken a break from coding to play some MS solitaire. 

I'm thinking I should dump VS2015 and reinstall.

billyp

Tuesday, November 17, 2015 3:08 PM
  • Hi B Pear,

Please make sure that you have run the visual studio as administrator, and please make sure that you have disabled the anti-virus or anti-spyware software.

Best Regards,

We are trying to better understand customer views on social support experience, so your participation in this interview project would be greatly appreciated if you have time. Thanks for helping make community forums a great place.

Wednesday, November 18, 2015 5:34 AM
  • I do run as admin, but I have never disabled the antivirus or spyware.  I really cant imagine that the virus protection would somehow disable the 'click' events and nothing else. 

I think the 'buttonbase' class was doing its job. I could see the buttons highlight as the mouse hovered over them.  It is as though buttonbase was marking the event as handled instead of passing it to the inherited class.

billyp

Wednesday, November 18, 2015 2:46 PM
  • Okay, now I finally catch something, a failure in loading VS.

[Failure] Could not find file 'C:\Users\Bill\AppData\Local\Temp\.NETFramework,Version=v4.0,Profile=Client.AssemblyAttributes.cs'.

But why would it fail to load sometimes, but usually not. About 1 in4 times this happens.

billyp

Monday, November 23, 2015 12:08 AM
  • Hi B Pear,

Please try the following to see if it helps:

Delete your .suo file for the solution before opening the solution or rebuilding.

Best Regards,

Tuesday, November 24, 2015 7:36 AM