VSSConverter migrate history beyond "break share" RRS feed

• Question

• I know that VSSConverter stops migrating history when a branch is encountered, but we have what I think is a slightly different situation and I was hoping that there might be some way around it. Our primary VSS source branch has five years of history in it, and from time to time release branches are branched off the primary one. Last year a release branch was done as a share-branch, then "break share" (i.e. branch) was done in the primary branch by mistake instead of in the release branch. That means the primary branch now has a "branch" entry in its history, when in fact it is the same ongoing branch and merely had shares broken. VSSConverter of course stops history at that point.

We frequently use diff on old versions to track changes, and with 6000+ source files we would hate to lose all that lovely early history. I suspect that we're just going to have to keep VSS alive for diff purposes only, but it would be great if there is a solution out there somewhere.
    Friday, July 24, 2009 4:43 AM

Answers

• Hi Peter

Do you mean that you created a branch for the trunk in VSS, then the subsequent code change are in the branch. After you migrate both the trunk and the branch to TFS, you can't view history of branch if you right click the trunk and select View History? 

Actually, in TFS 2008, you can use "tfpt history /followbranches" command from TFS Power Tool to view history information across branches. Is this what you want?

You might want to take a look at How does VSS Converter works.

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help.
    Send us any feedback you have about the help from MSFT at fbmsdn@microsoft.com.
    • Marked as answer by Bill.Wang Friday, July 31, 2009 6:46 AM
    Monday, July 27, 2009 10:35 AM