Server Error: Web <Root Web> is busy. please try again RRS feed

• Question

• Hi

I am running ME4 - everytime I try to publish my site I get this error.  Server Error: Web  <Root Web> is busy. please try again

I have other sites that publish ok using the same program.

I have deleted the service.lck  file etc.

It was all working fine until recently and I can't work work out what caused this.

Help!

Tuesday, October 4, 2011 10:11 PM

Answers

• If you googled it, there were other causes, such as overly large files, etc., but of course the actual cause in your case would be unknown to us.

Realize that there is not one method of "ME4 publishing" (by which I assume you meant EW4 publishing), but several options for publishing within EW.  Using http (FrontPage Server Extensions) is just one, and one you shouldn't rely on being able to use in the future.  FTP is the one you should use.

Bill's suggestion is the best.  You could try reinstalling/repairing the extensions, but even if that works, it would be wise to still plan on converting to FTP publishing.  If it doesn't work, remove them and convert to FTP publishing immediately.  [This assumes you don't rely on the FPSEs for anything other than publishing.]

• Marked as answer by Biggles1234 Wednesday, October 5, 2011 6:25 PM
    Wednesday, October 5, 2011 1:30 PM

All replies

• You've given us no information to work with. How could we do anything other than make wild guesses?

Server OS? Publishing method? Type of site (ASP.NET/PHP/HTML) Have you contacted the server company? Why not? etc., etc., etc.

Sounds like a server-specific error since EW works fine with other sites.

The Dalai Lama walks into a pizza shop and asks the guy behind the counter, "Can you make me one with everything?"
    Tuesday, October 4, 2011 11:02 PM
  • Google the error.  You'll find references to it from FrontPage documentation and groups.  I assume you are using FrontPage server extensions.  You'll find more help going through search results there than here, since it's not an EW error (even though you are using EW).

Or, of course, ask your host if they can pinpoint the problem.

Tuesday, October 4, 2011 11:05 PM
  • Hi

Thanks for your comments.

I have contacted the server company and they seem to be lost on this issue. It seems to be a Frontpage Server Extentions issue.

I just use the publishing part of the ME4 to publish and it seems to work fine with my other sites

I have Googled the error and the only help was to delete the service.lck file

Of which I did but it did not fix the issue.

Wednesday, October 5, 2011 2:45 AM
  • Your FPSEs may be corrupted and need to be reinstalled, if possible.

Since MS dropped support for them 7 years ago, it's dangerous to still rely on them. The new server Operating syatems don't support them and hosting companies are dropping them like flies--and without warning ther customers.

Set up FTP publishing for all your sites and be done with FPSEs.

The Dalai Lama walks into a pizza shop and asks the guy behind the counter, "Can you make me one with everything?"
    Wednesday, October 5, 2011 3:04 AM
  • If you googled it, there were other causes, such as overly large files, etc., but of course the actual cause in your case would be unknown to us.

Realize that there is not one method of "ME4 publishing" (by which I assume you meant EW4 publishing), but several options for publishing within EW.  Using http (FrontPage Server Extensions) is just one, and one you shouldn't rely on being able to use in the future.  FTP is the one you should use.

Bill's suggestion is the best.  You could try reinstalling/repairing the extensions, but even if that works, it would be wise to still plan on converting to FTP publishing.  If it doesn't work, remove them and convert to FTP publishing immediately.  [This assumes you don't rely on the FPSEs for anything other than publishing.]

• Marked as answer by Biggles1234 Wednesday, October 5, 2011 6:25 PM
    Wednesday, October 5, 2011 1:30 PM
  • Thanks this was helpful
    Wednesday, October 5, 2011 6:25 PM