Why does Windows.System.Launcher.launchFileAsync fail with file from my local folder?

Question

• I am trying to launch an XML file from my app local folder and it fails with return value "false"

The files path is C:\Users\myuser_000\AppData\Local\Packages\myapp_5f2frzpe4z2za\LocalState\conf\xxxx.conf.xml

Any idea why this file is prohibited from being launched? The docs say only about executables. My app is in the foreground when I call launchAsync.

Wednesday, December 03, 2014 10:57 PM

All replies

• You need to provide more details. Launching an XML file from the LocalFolder works in general.

What exactly are you doing?

Please share a minimal repro sample demonstrating the problem on your OneDrive.

Thursday, December 04, 2014 12:45 AM
    Owner
  • Sure Rob. Easy to reproduce. http://1drv.ms/1AhCHCA
    • Edited by pkursawe Thursday, December 04, 2014 1:03 AM
    Thursday, December 04, 2014 1:03 AM
  • Hi Phil,

Your test case didn't reproduce for me at first, but I was able to reproduce it by changing the default app for xml files. Basically, this is a safety check controlled by the current default file association.

If you set the LauncherOptions.displayApplicationPicker = true then the file should launch successfully into the user's choice. You can call it without that first and then retry on a failure.

--Rob

Thursday, December 04, 2014 11:39 PM
    Owner
  • Thanks Rob, I will try that. Can you elaborate about the safety checks? Who performs them? IE? Which is the default app for XML on my/customers system.
    Thursday, December 04, 2014 11:53 PM